bigger fuel tank

Fordrunner

Reaction score
hello i have a 85 f350 2wd 6.9 idi non turbo, crew cab with custom made bed i had purchased about a year ago. i currently run it back and forth to work my commute is 140 miles a day total. the problem im having is it only has a 12 gallon tank on the back behind the axle, bought it like that from the previous owner. so was looking to get some insight on bigger tanks what would fit and where to start. was reading some other forums online that a bronco tank would fit, but unknown what year bronco tank would fit, if at all. any insight would be very helpful and thanks in advance.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OEM tank is 18 gallons, Spectra brand replacement should be < $100 any day of the week on Amazon. Bronco tank is, what, 33 gallon. There's also a 38-gallon Spectra tank, kit comes with an extension for the pickup, and spacers and longer bolts for the skid/strap mounting.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
or you can do a 44 gallon excursion tank like I did. get the pickup for it as well, it has the same resitance that our tank readout uses (16-125 ohm if i recall correctly?). There are two styles of sending units , in tank pump and frame mounted, you want frame mounted pump. So all you basicaly get is the sending unit and pickup.
Make sure your tank comes with the plastic shield and straps. Should be almost a plug and play deal, might have to mod your mounts just a hair.
Easiest if you pull the bed off.

I really like my excursion tank, as when i brake all the fuel get spoushed forward-towards hte pickup. On the long sanddle tanks when i braked or turned all the fuel went away from the pickup, and with a low tank i would starve.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
junkyard.
use car-parts.com to track one down near you. I paid 70 for my tank, 35 for the pickup.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no "gas only" tank. Stock Spectra 18-gallon rear tank is the F1D, gasser or diesel. Best price on all the Spectra tanks I've found is on Amazon, free shipping even without that "Prime" nonsense.

Spectra tanks, the number designates the location/size (So F1<whatever> is rear tank, standard 18 gallon, F6<whatever> is 19-gallon mid-ship, etc.). The letter AFTER the number designates the "hat" opening, which varies from year to year. For '85, it's D, so the stock rear tank is F1D. The oversize 38-gallon rear tanks are all F26<whatever>, so for your generation of truck an F26D would be the right choice. Search Amazon for "Spectra F26D" and you'll find one for $150, with the kit for extending the pickup and the longer bolts and all.

Our trucks (stock) have neither a frame-mounted nor an in-tank fuel pump. The fuel pump is on the engine. Sending unit resistance range on an '85 is reversed compared to the later generations -- high resistance is EMPTY, low resistance is FULL.

More to the point, with any replacement tank, your existing sending unit / pickup assembly should work, as long as the arm for the sending unit, and the dip tube for the pickup, can be extended for the height of the tank.

Edit - I'm seeing some other 38-gallon entries on Amazon, by other mfrs (Shepherd, Florence), for fewer dollahs. But no clue about their quality / reputation, and I don't see photos of the extension goodies (bolts, etc) on their listings. Spectra has a good reputation wrt fuel tanks.

Edit2 - Spectra F26D is only $133 at RockAuto, there's always a 5% discount code available. Shipping might make the difference.

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im using a 33 gallon tank out of a 89 F350 in my 87.
it was a gasser tank.
i also used the gasser pickup/sending unit.
i deleted the fuel pump and extended the pick up.

i had to lower the bottom shroud 2" and add a cross member for the mounting.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I used the F26E. Only difference vs the D is it does not habe the ring and restrictor in the fill port for the internal vent. Recommend doing an external vent when you put the tank in, so it fills at normal speeds. I ordered from Amazon, nest price w/ shipping at the time.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your custom bed is similar to stock beds a semi fuel tank might work. Fitting across the bed.
Think I measured a 100 gallon tank that would fit between the rails...
But of course you'd have to plumb everything in, but it would solve the problem of smaller size tank.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Wish I knew about the excursions 2 yrs ago when I did the 38g swap.

this guy is using a 35g dodge side tank and 44g rear. not really any details though. http://hardtimediesel.com/projectfummins.php
80g total would be nice.

It is nice, but not when it comes time to fill them both up (I have a F26E rear tank and a Super Duty front tank). I fill mine up from 1/4 tank and it costs me about $150. But, on the flip side of that coin, I can go around 1000 miles before I need to fill up again.

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what's the story with the superduty tank? How many gallons, plastic or steel, how much fab work or did it bolt in, superduty as in powerstroke or f-superduty? thanks

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
what's the story with the superduty tank? How many gallons, plastic or steel, how much fab work or did it bolt in, superduty as in powerstroke or f-superduty? thanks

http://www.powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217970&highlight=

Don't remember if I did a similar write-up on here, but this is how I did it. I did end up making a much more permanent, better mounting point for that front outside mount. But I've got about 10,000 miles on it now with no issues.