Single / rear tank only conversion?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
38 is near same, if not more than both the stock tanks.
Remove tank selector, remove front tank lines, wire up rear tank sender. Pretty much about it.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
38 is near same, if not more than both the stock tanks.
Remove tank selector, remove front tank lines, wire up rear tank sender. Pretty much about it.

Sounds fairly straight forward. I expect to use the dremel on bolts and such.

That quote on the bottom there sums up how I feel about my vehicles.

Kistthesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or you could keep the front tank as well & have 57 gallon capacity, that would be quite a range!

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
Ya, 57 gallons would be a lot. But I dont like the offset weight of having the front tank where it is. Its always kind of bothered me, especially in an off road situation.

Kistthesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah makes sense as well because these trucks are so light in the rear compared to the front, wonder if anyone out there runs dual side tanks? I used to have an old chevy gasser with that set up & it seems to make more sense plus a higher capacity.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
All you gotta do is pull lines from the selector valve and connect them with a straight through hose barb and clamps. Ensures no accidental switching and if the valve leaks it won't suck air or leak fuel.

Seems silly to worry about 130 lbs or so offset on one side... The truck weighs 6000 lbs. I have a 38 gal rear and 19 gal front, it's wonderful. I'd like to try fitting a 38 gal front tank from the newer trucks eventually. It's nice to have lots of fuel. If you're doing really technical inclines off camber then you can always leave the front tank empty when you are going out. If it was actually a problem I'd sooner put 100 lbs of lead or steel on the passenger side of the bed of bolted to the frame than sacrifice fuel capacity.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
Kistthesky: Thats what I always figured. And your idea of duel side tanks would be the absolute best. Have a feed from the front and rear of the tanks into a Y and you wouldnt have to worry about incline or decline. Plus if they were round and you had a flat bed you could have direct access to the tank instead of a filler tube. That would be awesome. The way it should have been made.

dunk: straight forward is what I like to hear.

I gotcha that 130lbs isnt much compared to that 6K. But I also take into account that Ford put the front differential on the wrong side. So its a pretty hefty shift. I am not doing anything very technical. But 38 gal is plenty for where I go, which isnt ever far. At most a 4 hour drive.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Could offset the front tank with a battery box on the passenger side.
I like the dual saddle tanks though. My Chevy had them. Sat on the outsides of the frame Iirc.
Some mini round tanks would be cool on a flatbed. But then that's taking my future toolbox space.
With how inward mounted the front tank is, I think the weight offset is negligible, except severe offroading. But then again, left side of my truck looks like it may sit a hair lower, but that could be any number of unrelated reasons.
And oh yeah, 6000 lbs, must be 2wd. My 94 F350 RCLB dually 4x4 With a lighter flatbed weighs in around 7000 lbs with near empty tanks, and I'm only 150 or so. Lol

And one other thing, someone has done the newer bigger front tank. Think it was here. One of the older members. Maybe can30diesel? It definitely hangs lower.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
79jasper: I am just going to delete the thing. I can probably sell it for a pretty penny. But the dual saddle tanks is probably the best idea. I like your toolbox idea. My truck weighs about 6K, actually a little less. Its a 88' F-250, single cab, 8ft bed, 4x4, w/ that stupid C6. I know the weight quite well because the dump has a scale.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yeah, weighed mine at the scrap yard. Lol
Also mine is a chassis cab and has some frame reinforcements.
If the gauge works on that tank, it would be a easy sell.
I plan on deleting mine also and probably build a rear one to fit better, and be bigger.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
79jasper: LMC Truck has the 38 gallon one for $130 plus you can use that Beans Diesel sump kit on it being plastic. And they have all the proper hardware for inside as well and the float will actually read correctly.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I'd have to double check, but from what I remember, my truck has narrower frames rails, so my tank options are a little more limited.