Putting Oil Change into the Tank

Sparks-IDI

Reaction score
Was just changing the oil in my truck (1994 7.3 IDI NA) and was wondering if there is any harm in just putting the waste oil into the fuel tank. We're talking like 12 quarts plus. I would make sure the tank is full of diesel, about 18 gallons so it would dilute sufficiently. I have a 500 mesh screen ( about 25 micron) I can pour it thru to pick up any small chunks of stuff that may be in there. Just thought it would be a convenient way of disposing the oil rather than hauling down to the parts store to dispose of it. Do you see any hazard in doing this? I am just doing this as a means of getting rid of my drained oil, so it would only be done when oil change time comes around. I know some of you are using waste oil to power your trucks, so it seems doable as a means of getting rid of the waste oil. Is this a good or bad idea?

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of the folks running WMO are filtering it quite a lot before it ever goes to the tank. At minimum I'd let it settle for a month or two before dumping it in, this lets at least some of the stuff drop to the bottom. A 500 mesh screen will catch big chunks, but you could find yourself with a clogged fuel filter quite fast. The oil theoretically should have been filtered already to whatever the oil filter micron size is.

Basically, you could do it, know you'll possibly clog a filter or an injector. Many have done so without issue.

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have nothing really to add to above ^
If you did it would mostly likely be fine but definitely better to at least filter beforehand

Personally only really dump extra ATF into the tanks

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I do it on my 89-93 dodges (cummins) -thats where my oil changes go. These injectors have smaller holes that the IDIs.
The oil theoretically should have been filtered already to whatever the oil filter micron size is.
This. Most of it goes in my w250 since i have an extra primary filter in there. Filters still last a long time.

Last edited:

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my WMO thread, I believe it's @u2slow says that the original 5.9 Cummins owners manual actually recommends pouring your oil changes right into your fuel tank. I'd do it without hesitation since you just run diesel. As a whole hearted WMO burner, I'd just pour it in my collection tank with everything else.

Edit; I didn't see your post u2slow.

Last edited:

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have nothing really to add to above ^
If you did it would mostly likely be fine but definitely better to at least filter beforehand

Personally only really dump extra ATF into the tanks
Now, I really think you're gambling with dumping ATF willy nilly in the tank, there's a whole lot of stuff in that.

Last edited:

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was just changing the oil in my truck (1994 7.3 IDI NA) and was wondering if there is any harm in just putting the waste oil into the fuel tank. We're talking like 12 quarts plus. I would make sure the tank is full of diesel, about 18 gallons so it would dilute sufficiently. I have a 500 mesh screen ( about 25 micron) I can pour it thru to pick up any small chunks of stuff that may be in there. Just thought it would be a convenient way of disposing the oil rather than hauling down to the parts store to dispose of it. Do you see any hazard in doing this? I am just doing this as a means of getting rid of my drained oil, so it would only be done when oil change time comes around. I know some of you are using waste oil to power your trucks, so it seems doable as a means of getting rid of the waste oil. Is this a good or bad idea?
Look at the screenshot in my previous post, Cummins recommended 1quart per fill up.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The other guys know my opinion on this, but since you are new, I will repeat it; The fuel injection pump and the injectors are precision close tolerance mechanical devices, like the bearing clearances in the engine and maybe even tighter than the engine clearances. That being said, if you filter the used oil good enough to put it into the fuel tank and not cause wear in the injection system, then it should be good enough to put the used filtered oil back into the engine itself.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The other guys know my opinion on this, but since you are new, I will repeat it; The fuel injection pump and the injectors are precision close tolerance mechanical devices, like the bearing clearances in the engine and maybe even tighter than the engine clearances. That being said, if you filter the used oil good enough to put it into the fuel tank and not cause wear in the injection system, then it should be good enough to put the used filtered oil back into the engine itself.
I can affirm that this is what @franklin2 says everytime.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But, with new IP, would void the warranty, so hafta stop until the warranty expires. Then I’ll resume
Warranty is only as good as the paper it is written on, maybe will resume sooner

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.