Putting Oil Change into the Tank

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did read that one of the IP rebuilders, will not take a Pump that was run with old used Engine Oil.

Your Engine, do what you want.

I remember back ...maybe in the 70`s, Coors was taking the used oil from their trucks, running it through a set of Filters on a Dolly kind of set up, and pumping it into the Fuel tanks.
They were getting $0.25 for ea gallon picked up by the recycler when Diesel was
(what ever the price was back then) so it was money ahead for them. Was an article in a truck magazine back in the day.

I agree with franklin2,...

Goat

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did read that one of the IP rebuilders, will not take a Pump that was run with old used Engine Oil.

Your Engine, do what you want.

I remember back ...maybe in the 70`s, Coors was taking the used oil from their trucks, running it through a set of Filters on a Dolly kind of set up, and pumping it into the Fuel tanks.
They were getting $0.25 for ea gallon picked up by the recycler when Diesel was
(what ever the price was back then) so it was money ahead for them. Was an article in a truck magazine back in the day.

I agree with franklin2,...

Goat
Moose won’t warranty a pump that had oil in it. They recommend ATF and fuel lubricants though

WrenchWhore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious how would any company that does IP's know for sure you ran WMO? Seems like it's a he said she said BS. Unless you killed the pump when running heavy on WMO and you couldn't get 100% of the WMO out before returning the core.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ATF is a good injector cleaner..
That's why I exclusively run oil in my fuel system, if it's good enough to lubricate the engine and my chainsaw bar, then it's good enough to lubricate my IP. Not like that low sulfur diesel that they sell at the petrol station, that nonlubricating mess can just stay out of my fuel system.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious how would any company that does IP's know for sure you ran WMO? Seems like it's a he said she said BS. Unless you killed the pump when running heavy on WMO and you couldn't get 100% of the WMO out before returning the core.
An experienced rebuilder can look at a pump and tell right away that dirty contaminated fuel has been run through it for awhile. The reason some rebuilders will not take a pump that WMO has been used in, it wears some expensive hard parts inside the pump that are normally not replaced. Most of them throw out a standard rebuild fee for your pump, but they start to lose money when they have to replace expensive pieces inside.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is clean enough to do a minor filtering and run through the injection system, why not do the same minor filtering and put itback in the crank case?
Good point! I'll never buy oil again! LoL!

But really, if I knew beyond a shadow of doubt that I was getting only used 15w-40 I probably would. I'd centerfuge it and put it in the crankcase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86