Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Top shelf there Darrin! You got yourself a real one of a kind truck now. ;Sweet

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
I needed to buy the Ford boots for the intercooler and had to wait a day to get them. Bummer part is that I bought the whole inercooler tubing kit for like $120 shipped, the 2 boots and clamps that I needed from Ford were $118.00. :rolleyes:

That sucks!! Great looking rig Darrin!!

I have access to a '89(?) Ext cab F250 Centurion Conv. dually w/460 that could use a swap like this.

Just what I need! I can't find time to finish what I've started!:rotflmao :rotflmao

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
For such a little motor, that thing filled up the engine compartment.;Really

Looks good Darrin!;Sweet

Ummmm, parking lot looked purdy empty still.LOL

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the cummins really does fit pretty snug even though its a whole liter smaller than ours, or more than a liter for some of yall.

So when do we get a new video of the truck, i wanna hear it and see it smoke. :)

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I had a rough day today boys,..I ended up in the emergency room with kidney stones,... They got me drugged up and I am now feeling no pain ;Sweet

So needless to day I didn't get anything else done on the truck today, well see how tomorrow goes.

Thanks for the comments guys! I will get a video of it in the next couple of weeks. I want to get the bugs worked out of it a little more and see how hard it will run before I video it. Suffice it to say, it soulds like a SEMI!

Gonna go hit the couch and call it a day,..

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope you get feeling better. I remember doing that once, no desire to do it again.

Regarding the OD switch. How about a momentary switch and a couple of relays instead of the Eaton? That way one position shifts up and the other position shifts down. Then an input for the brake lights to the second relay can be used to release the primary relay and automatically down shift the OD unit.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
It has been a while since I have seen this post, just wanted to give alittle update:

I have been putting a lot of miles on the truck, towing, playing in the dunes etc. Most of it running on about 40% WMO. I am having a fuel issue, it seems to be going our of adjustment, and dumping to much fuel. Then I have to back the fuel screw off, and it only smokes at full throttle. This will be the 3rd time making the adjustment.

That is really the only real problem that I have had with the truck. The Intercooler tubes have all been redone, with flared ends and new quality clamps so I can hit 30 PSI without blowing off any boots.

I still have not injected the Propane yet, and it is still not adjusted to hit full throttle yet. Once I get the fuel issue straightened out then I will play with these items.

Overall I am "giddy as a school girl" (to steal a line from Travis) with the conversion, and the truck as a whole. It drives great, lots of power, sounds like a Semi, and I get compliments on it wherever I go. It feels good to know that It will never get another extensive makeover, and I can now concentrate my efforts on other projects. There are still things that will be done to the truck but none to this extravagance.

;Sweet

Thanks for listening,...!

gsgIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Darin,
Congrats on the completion of the project. I can tell the pride that you feel just by reading all the posts. I know a lot of people with Dodges and I hear the same story electrical problems, thank goodness its a Ford. I hope you are feeling better kidney stones are no fun at all. gsgIDI

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
is there any possible way to do this swap without modifying the driveshafts? im wanting to do this kind of swap but i dont know of anyone who can balance the driveshafts?

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
There is a spendy way to do it. I can not remember if he purchased the plate and mounts from Fordcummins or how he adapted it (and I am not going to read through all of them either), but if you get the mounts and plate I believe you can use your drivetrain from the trans back. Check their site and go from there.

Actually, it is not possible at all and they have found that all of the cummins have a problem that causes cancer of the firstborn child and the father. So....sell it to me for a mere $50 bux and we will call it good.

SWS

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
There is a spendy way to do it. I can not remember if he purchased the plate and mounts from Fordcummins or how he adapted it (and I am not going to read through all of them either), but if you get the mounts and plate I believe you can use your drivetrain from the trans back. Check their site and go from there.

Actually, it is not possible at all and they have found that all of the cummins have a problem that causes cancer of the firstborn child and the father. So....sell it to me for a mere $50 bux and we will call it good.

SWS

If I remember correctly... Darrin did it the easy way....:D He bought another bricknose that had already had the conversion done. So he bought the entire truck, swapped the Cummins that had already been fitted in a bricknose over to Big Ed and bolted the new powerplant to his C6/GV that was already at home in Big Ed..... so he didn't buy any adapters.... he just swapped motors...... kinda like getting a basket case IDI truck and moving it onto another good IDI truck..... I figure some of the work of getting it into Big Ed was with electrical and the like......

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Havent seen this thread in a while,..LOL

Snickols is right, I on the easy way to do it,...and thats what I did,....:sly

is there any possible way to do this swap without modifying the driveshafts? im wanting to do this kind of swap but i dont know of anyone who can balance the driveshafts?

I don't see where it is physically possible to do that, the motor is just too long to fit under there without moving the trans and t-case back about 3 to 4". Think mine was 3.5"

If this is something that you want to do, I would be glad to hook you up with D&R Driveline who did my shafts. You can ship them here and have with the length that you need, Ill take them to D&R, they can build them for ya and Ill ship them back.

D&R are very reasonable,I think it only cost me around $200 to $250.00 for both shafts with new u-joints. The rest of the cost would be shipping there and back. If you don't have any other options let me know and well get it done for ya,...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online

No members online now.