Big Ed's Exreme Truck Makeover part II

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
Was the trans moved back in the donor truck? Maybe it will be cheaper to just buy a dodge cummins truck and sell the ford.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Was the trans moved back in the donor truck? Maybe it will be cheaper to just buy a dodge cummins truck and sell the ford.

Yes it was. If you are looking to do it cheap then you probably shouldn't do it. It is obviously easier to just buy a Dodge, but then you are driving a Dodge,..;Really

But really this is something that needs to be budgeted for, especially if you don't have a doner truck with all of the parts. I spent $4500.00 for the doner truck, another $300.00 or so to go get it out of Wisconsin. Shortening driveshafts, intercooler, piping, aftermarket tac, sensors, wiring, dual optima batteries so they would fit on one side, HD Torque converter, having an adapter plate built to replace the wave ring, and lots of other stuff that I am forgetting was an easy $1500.00 +.

On the up side I was able to recoup the $4500.00 by parting out the doner truck, and all of the parts that came off my truck.

my85ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
awesome looking truck.;Sweet I cant wait to see more pic. Its gona be a really awesome truck .Keep up the great work

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Welp...boned that one. If the shafts have to move 3 to 4", how long are they now? I wonder if you could use the rear shaft out of a bronco if you have a regular cab regular box.

SWS

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
Nice job with the swap DT. Just got done reading through all 13 pages and garnered some good info for my upcoming swap. Specifically, where to send my shafts to get shortened since I'm working in GR every other Tuesday!

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Nice job with the swap DT. Just got done reading through all 13 pages and garnered some good info for my upcoming swap. Specifically, where to send my shafts to get shortened since I'm working in GR every other Tuesday!

Feel free to stop by the Car Lot when you are in town, I would be glad to show off the truck and help you out with any questions, my website is in my sig, you can see where I am and give me a call if you would like some time.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Welp...boned that one. If the shafts have to move 3 to 4", how long are they now? I wonder if you could use the rear shaft out of a bronco if you have a regular cab regular box.

SWS

Nope,... it would have to be custom made, D&R Driveline did a great job If you are looking itno doing it, you could ship the shafts to me with the correct measurements, I can get them to D&R and ship em back to you when they are done. Just a suggestion,...

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Awww...Im WAY to poor to do that swap. I just got the front back together on mine today and am still fighting the "cold start" problem...new engine, injectors, 7.3 filter setup and all...

May need a new IP.

SWS

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
what kind of wiring harness is there for a 12v engine? is is similar to what the IDI's have?

Yes it is similar.

All you need is a 12v ignition wire to the pump to make it run.
Starter wires
Alternator
Gauges. Temp, Oil Pressure, volts, boost, pyro.

Easy to make your own harness from the IDI wiring.

Truck Guy99

Reaction score
I know this thread is old but I gotta say, sweet truck! I have an identical truck I'll be doing an identical swap in. A red 1988 F350 crew cab long bed 4x4.

Would you mind doing a cost break down of the swap? It would be greatly appreciated!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online