Best way to clean a rad?

robmoore11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled my grill off today and realized the rad is plugged more than I'd thought. I was wondering what the best way to clean the rad is? My friend told me to let it soak in warm soapy water and then use a hose to clean as much as possible. Any one have any other ideas?

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
dish washing detergent if oil got in there. I have heard of using vinegar or Baking soda to de scale things. I am sure others will chime in during the day hours. If the radiator is in very good condition, a shop can pull the top off and "rod" it for you. Basically they send a cleaning stick down each tube if I understand this procedure correctly and re weld the top on when finished.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I pulled my grill off today and realized the rad is plugged more than I'd thought. I was wondering what the best way to clean the rad is? My friend told me to let it soak in warm soapy water and then use a hose to clean as much as possible. Any one have any other ideas?

You mean the OUTSIDE is diry, like packed with bugs, dirt and grass? Take compressed air from the backside and blow it out, The go the same thing with the garden hose

sassyrel

Reaction score
What about the fins on the outside? They are packed

mix up a ? jug or pail,of stronger soapy solution....pour on radiator,laying flat.use garden hose,,after a period of time,,to wash it,,keep doing this,,till alll the fins come clean..or,go to a car wash,,and with the spray angle,,at 90degress to the fins,pressure wash it!! MUCH easier!!! if you aim the spray angle wrong,,flattened fins!! now after doing this,,you may have some unfound leaks in the rad!! which will req a rad shop,to pressurize it, and put it under water,,to check for leaks. and yes,you can use vinegar for inside the rad to loosen mineral deposts,but you have the means,to backflush the rad to blow the mineral out???? and even if you do this,,those deposits coming loose,may also develop a leak..how do i know this? ive only had a rad shop for 22 years................................course im sure,there will be those.................

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya i got a psd rad out of a junkyard in great shape for a 100 but that still had the new part stickers on it and no corrosion a steal but if you can find a good rad in a yard id just say swap cause we all know the luck this place got you fix soemthing and another issue shows up

sootman73

Reaction score
scrubbing bubbles worked great for me. spray on and it stays there since its a thick foam. soapy water just flows through and wont stick to break down the dirt. then hose it off. not too much pressure though especially if the radiator is old or else you could break all your fins off.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mean the OUTSIDE is diry, like packed with bugs, dirt and grass? Take compressed air from the backside and blow it out, The go the same thing with the garden hose

+1 on compressed air from the back, then finish with a hose from the rear. Push those bugs out the way they flew in to their final landing place ;Sweet

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any good radiator repairman Knows you can't rod these radiators out. The tubes are wiggled, rodding will cause leaks. I had a shop soak my 90 in caustic for 2 days to no avail, had to get a new one.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Oldbull... Not all radiators that are make for our trucks have the wiggle or dimple core radiators. they can be cleaned but not completely. Getting the bugs off the fins can be tuff. The fins bend very easy. Most fake@ss auto parts stores sell fin combs to straighten out the bent fins. It works but takes plenty of patience to do. I the dirty rad is also dirty inside maybe spending around $230.00on a Champion aluminum radiator would be a cheaper way to go. I know we have seen a few that were damaged in shipping but its a thought...

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I have a pressure washer at home. I will try that out. Hopefully soon I will do it. Lordco can't seem to find floor pans for my truck

Just make sure you go from the back side. Otherwise you just jam the debris further into the fins, not getting it out

redmondjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just make sure you go from the back side. Otherwise you just jam the debris further into the fins, not getting it out

^^^ What he said!!! ^^^

And the angle you have your nozzle (same holds true if using compressed air or the garden hose directly) is critical when doing this - you want to aim straight through for maximum debris removal.

[no nozzle angle comments please :backoff:D]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online