best transmission?

BP6.9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey yall i have a c6 in my F250 i hAVE 5:13 axles and i have a gv unit on the back that works great, what im asking would a e40od be better for pulling then my current set up? because i do tow alot of farm epuipment, or would it even hold longer then a year?

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
You should be able to pull a house with that setup.:eek: On paper, the E4OD rated to handle more torque than the C6. The problem is in stock form they shift like slush and do not hold up to abuse very well. An aftermarket torque conv and build go a long way with these transmissions. I'm guessing you are looking for that OD and TC lockup to help the 5:13's on the highway?LOL

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Let my guess, you have a 1988 or early '89 F-Super Duty?

My shop has an 88 F450 Diesel with the C6/5.13's as a yard truck, it has a transport truck 5th wheel on it, and it's used for moving around transport truck trailers in the yard and around.

It has a top speed of 70km/h (45mph) LOL

If your easy on the gas, the C6 will shift 1-2-3 before you cross an intersection LOL

If I were you, I'd leave the C6 with the GV unit. That would be your strongest automatic setup you can ask for!

Like others said, you can built up a E4OD to be bullet proof, but you better have deep pockets for that option....

Best thing would be a ZF5 5 speed standard swap, and add the GV unit to that!

BP6.9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmmm this makes me thinki shouldnt have got read of the zf5 i had and it started as stock f250 4x4 but when my original axles went which had 4:10s in them, my uncle had an f450 that the motor had blew up in so those axles went into my truck, and ive pulled alotttt!!!!!!! i mean alot with this truck and goose ur right if im lucky wwith the gv engaged i might see 80 (if lucky lol)

BP6.9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ohyeah and forgot to mention that i paid 1200 for the rebuild kit without the ats torque converter thats in it, my uncle built it for me

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted the ZF5 but weighing the time/effort/cost against the fact that I already had a new C6, I put a trans temp gauge on it and called it a day. If you didn't have the GV it'd be a different story, but keep it cool and you should be fine for a long time. On the GV, I'm still reading around, but it looks like a pretty good list of dos and don'ts with it towing, the main don't being don't leave it engaged if you've got a big weight pushing you downhill (which you wouldn't want to do much of the time anyway). I could be wrong, but if so, some here will chime in.

You can add some oil capacity to the GV with a deep sump here.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to see how you put the rear axle from a superduty in your F250

X 2. I'm going to modify a F450 Dana 80 for my F250 down the road, and would like to see what you did. I have several ideas, but, it would help to see what others have done.

Heath

Last edited:

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I am curious just as the axle is about 2" narrower and the spring pads are 5" narrower. And then you are stuck w 10 lug dually wheels and they dont fit on a pickup frame

BP6.9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if its a d80 the truck said f450 on it but there 8lug axles thow:dunno
my uncle said it was a true superduty but they have 10 lugs right? and my rear axle measures 13.5 inches across the cover, and ik it has a d50 up front, the ring and pinion out of the donor truck fit right in there so we didnt swap em out i think it was a d60 in the donor up front, but im definitley sure it is 5:13 geared, even with the gv unit im lucky if i cant to get 75 or even 80

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
If it's 4x4, it's not an F450. F450's were 2wd only with a solid I beam front axle.

Unless it's been swaped to a 4wd.

BP6.9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well when he got the truck it had 35 inch superswampers on it and it was 4x4, ik the back axle is huge, if it matters i did have to put an adapter on the axle for it to be srw

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance