Best Shocks?

wmoguy

Reaction score
I think it's time to treat my 94 to new shocks. I'm noticing some tire wear which would indicate shocks being needed. Anyway, what do you recommend? While mine is 4x4, it's nearly 100% a pavement princess. I don't need nor want an offroad shock. Should I go Monroe's? Bilsteins?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I would recommend Bilstein's...... You will be more than happy.

I have them on the Excursion, and they improved the ride significantly!!!!! I linked to the Bilstein Website Listing for your truck. The ones listed for your truck are the same model I have on my truck. I know that RLDSL has Bilsteins on the back if his truck, and he has reported only good things on them. They have a lifetime warranty, and stand behind it. He had one he thought was bad, send it in for testing, and I believe they found it to be below their standards, and shipped him a new shock!!!!! They would truly be the last set of shock you have to by for your truck, and more than likely, the last time you will have to change them too!!!! I have seen reports of 100,000+ miles with no performance degradation from the shock.

Shop around, I found the local 4 Wheel Parts (national chain) had them on sale when I needed mine. I was able to order them, have them shipped to my local store and pick them up for less that I could get them on the internet at the time. Just make sure when you order them, from anywhere, to supply the part number off the Bilstein website.... I did not, and the ordered the F-250/350 shock for my truck. The Ex and the F-Series have slightly different shocks. I discovered this, and they ordered the correct ones, and exchanged them no-hassle for me.

Last edited:

chevytaHOE5674

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I prefer Bilstein shocks myself. But at the very least make sure to get a Monotube shock as they will provide the best ride and longevity.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
monroes are nice i have had them on my truck for 30,000 miles an ive always had good luck with bilsteins which i just bought a set with the piggy back resivors and they seem to ride amazingly smooth and work great off road im 2x4 tho so idk how they would be on a straight axel but im sure they would be just as good if i remember right i paid about 150 each

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I have Bilstein on My 05 and plan to put a set one My 93 in the future. I also have them on a liberty, not much of an improvement there I think since it rides a bit harder than before, still if anything ever goes bad with them I know I can have them tested and exchanged if needed.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Only way to keep my son from getting car sick in our van was to throw Bilsteins under the back end... :puke:

:D

They really do improve the ride substantially. I put a combination of monroe and rancho's on the blue truck and was less than impressed. Ride was about the same as before with the worn out carquest specials...

They are pricey but they are worth it in my book. ;Sweet

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my dad tought me to put my knee on the front bumper and push and remove knee if it moves up more than once change them and if you can stand in the bed and rock it side to side replace emmm i know its redneck but has always worked for us im sure theres a better way but has worked fine for us

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just yesterday I installed 4 Monroe Sensa-Trac's they really did wonders for the ride.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the cheapie gabriel shocks at autozone because of their lifetime warranty ;Sweet! Ride has improved quite a bit and the best part is.....when they go bad, which they will.....all I have to do is bring old ones in and get new ones free of charge. Don't understand why an auto parts store would put a lifetime warranty on shocks but that's why I bought them. If I could afford them, I would like bilsteins, but again, their just shocks in my opinion.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate monroes. they are way too soft and bouncy for my taste. put some on my jeep and took them off 2 hrs later. I put the azone gabrials on everything I have and am happy with them

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha, the 12 year old 'Gabrial Pro-Ryder Premium' were "lifetime" from Pep Boys (which they don't carry any more) so they gave my the upgraded Monroe Sensa-Trac's ;Sweet
No complaints thus far ;Sweet

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
you cant beat Bilsteins for ride and control , loaded or empty, and I have a severe arthritic condition that has left me with no disks in my back, so I NEED comfort, it's not just an option. and you cant beat their customer service. I thought I had one going out in the rear, they told me to send them both in for testing. THey found a bad one, asnd not only replaced it, but cleaned the other old one up so well , IT looked like new again Too :hail THe y didnt have to do that ;Sweet

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive always liked rancho's, had some 5000s on my 77, but the ones i really loved were my James Duff shocks on my ranger, maybe a little soft in corners, but theyre smooth, and excellent off road.