Best Shocks?

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never knew much about shocks until I bought my 89 GMC K1500 4x4 about 20 years ago. That's when I noticed the oil leaking from around the piston rods down the body on the rear. Since I had to buy new tires right away and replace the ball joints which were barely there, I decided to go through everything even the brakes. Well, I took off the stock shocks and put on a set of Rancho 5000's since I had really good luck with a steering stabilizer once with my 73 F100. Well, I honestly wasn't really impressed with them so I too them off and put on some Monroe Sensa Tracs all around, with coil overs in the back. THAT made a world of difference with my ride. However, as I was trying to upgrade my vehicles every time I had to replace something, I noticed my girlfriend's brother had a 91 Z71 with Bilsteins on it and I was in love! So I swore to put them in the next time. Yeah, my shocks are still good and I don't need to replace them yet on the GMC. But when I change out the suspension on my 79 Bronco I plan on going Bilstein if they are available. And considering I plan on replacing the bad 351M with a diesel very soon, I am hoping there is a heavier duty version.

But just a detail. I've had my 73 F100 since 86 and it's had the same set of Gabriels on it since. There's a heavy 360 with 4 speed and 4x4 and 33" tires and those shocks kept it riding well through all those conditions. And yeah, I know that even though they are not leaking they need replacing. I'm just taking care of one vehicle at a time, and the Bronco is first.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And you want bad roads? Come and enjoy WI's high road tax on Gasoline and Diesels, and see the same sections of roads get done over and over and over and over and over again while the rest of the roads deteriorate and make you feel like you are driving on the moon.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
I'm converting my f250 to a 350. Was thinking bilsteins. Looks like everyone likes them. Yeah its going on my stroker...same difference! LOL