Best Batteries..???

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm going to need a new set of batteries soon. The Wally World specials are about done (when they say three years, they mean it).:puke:

I want so good quality 850-1000CCA batteries. The Crew Cab has red top Optimas, and them seem to be doing fine. But I never drive that in the winter, plus, they are crazy expensive.

What say you OB?

Heath

sootman73

Reaction score
i like the big batteries i got from napa last winter. cost me about $231 but they have a pretty large reserve(though i dont need that very often) they are 1000+ CCA

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I still have four year old Interstates in mine...it starts as good right now as the day I put them in...and honestly it shouldn't! My charging system starts dropping voltage like a rock running the heater, wipers and headlights, so I'm sure they haven't been charged as they are supposed to be.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Goofy, Ben, Scotty....

Any part numbers on those batteries?

I have a NAPA close, but not CAT dealer.

Heath

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
heath-
you should be able to cram a group 31 in a 80-86 truck and a group 65 from 87-97 trucks. anything larger and you will be welding a battery to the hood:eek:

philadelphia

Reaction score
I run two group 31s from a mack dealer in my s1600, and really like the commercial group 31s from autozone i just put in my dodge clubcab..She has some wiring issues but the batts work great..One runs a mile marker 12k winch that gets used often and a 1200watt inverter that gets used all day drawing 8-10 amps..I run the truck hard and its gets plenty shaken around by the nyc streets..I guess its the warranty that i like with one year free replacement and the fact that autozone is almost everyplace.

Red tops are nice but they have a bad history with winches and heavy discharge and charge cycles..

I have a yellow in my ramcharger

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Get a set of Group 31s. If you have a Truck Pro nearby , they have them for about $85 ea, with about 1100 ca and an insane reserve capacity. Aside from the extra power, the nice thing about the 31s is if one ever poops out when traveling , you can get one at most any truck stop 7 days a week right on the highway since that is the standard size batt for all trucks ;Sweet Don't worry about the hood, just get a small chunk of rubber mud flap and tie it over the top of the batt just in case the batt comes loose and contacts the hood, no worries that way . They fit in my 92 just fine. I cut the ends off the batt trays so they would set down a little better. Those red tops may have a high amp rating but they don't have squat for a reserve capacity and that is what you need to look for in diesel starting batts, the amps get you spinning, but the reserve cap is what allows you to do it again and again and again......

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I have used Duralast Gold tops. 1000CCA and they have held up great. I cranked on and off for a half hour and they were still strong the whole time. And the temps were below zero!!!!

Thad

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
x2 on the big ones from Napa,..Ron just bought a pair for Mater, and I have one as an aux battery for Droopy. They are group 31 and 1,110 cranking amps. Bigger IS better!

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Napa's batteries are made by DEKA. They are the best battery on the market. I have had Interstates, Exide:puke:,Cat, International,Deere, Motorcraft ,NAPA,Deka and AC Delco. I would never own anything other than a Deka/NAPA or a AC Delco

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still have four year old Interstates in mine...it starts as good right now as the day I put them in...and honestly it shouldn't! My charging system starts dropping voltage like a rock running the heater, wipers and headlights, so I'm sure they haven't been charged as they are supposed to be.

X2

I have some old Interstates. They weren't used for an entire year at one point. Had some charging issues at times too, ran them dead lots.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Very best: Oddysey PC2150S...but at $350 a piece they are tooo $$$$ unless your application involves life-or-death situations.

Interstates have always been good to me, so have the NAPA batteries. Optima is either good or bad; I always seem to get the bad ones.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I think one day...if I ever have the money I'm going to make a custom battery tray to go underneath my toolbox. Inside will house 2 big **** RV batteries. Parents have them in their coach, something like 1500cca's with probably the best reserve capacity offered in a battery (designed to run for long periods of time without shore power. Can run a heater to heat the whole 40' coach all night and still have a good charge in the morning). I think after than, I wont have any problems with batteries draining ;Sweet

But right now I"m running some Group 31 batteries from NAPA. They have done me good ;Sweet. Something like 850cca's each.