Best Batteries..???

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of Federal batteries? Pair of optima yellow tops puked in the wife's 7.3 psd Excursion in just 3.5 years, totally disappointed. I've had very good luck with Interstate econo's but that vintage truck is in its prime for battery replacement and econo's were out of stock. Interstate's best and dealership Motorcrafts were within dollars of each other. I was going to go with the Motorcrafts, The factory new ones just seem to last the longest or is it me? Anyhow my brother has a farm with about 18 batteries in various pieces and a local guy delivers Federal batteries right to his doorstep. He has had great luck with these and I'm impressed so far. Also delivered to me for $85 less than cost of Interstates or Motorcrafts. I won't waste my time with walmart crap, don't like supporting that craphole in any way what so ever, so econos from Interstate are first choice, Federals are #2, Napa would be my goto #3. I know of 25-35 of these Federals being used by friends, everyone roports good news about them and support of the guy who delivers them.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I just looked at my batteries again today. 700cca's each. Amazing this thing started at 7*F with a dying starter with those.

I would like to move the batteries still though, and make some space for intercooler piping. But should I do Group 31's, or Group 8D's (or not, have you seen the pricing on those LOL?)? Who knows.

Fordman75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I get my truck to the point of actually needing batteries I think I'm going to bite the bullet and go with a pair of Odyssey 2150's. I've got a pretty large electric winch on my car trailer that will run off my truck batteries. So I think the Odyssey's will be a good choice for me.

Last edited:

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I was noticing the nice scenery behind fordguy100 pics and realized my truck came from his neck of the woods. I had work done to it at a shop in Portland before it was shipped to me ( yes, I bought a truck 3000mi away off a logging company without ever seeing it in person, an epic story maybe to tell at the idi rally) and they put Centennial 85 month batteries in it. Group 65-85, 820cca with a phone number and international warrenty. Very pleased with there so far. Heath, I'm not sure if these are regional batteries and not a nation wide available item or another sticker for a Textron battery, but this Centennial and the Federals I mentioned prove to be nothing but quality to me. Good luck, man.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If someone wanted to get a set of 31s batts but doesn't have the cables,, this place has screw on converters, about halfway down the page that will screw onto a battery stud where you can clamp a lug type cable on

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I was noticing the nice scenery behind fordguy100 pics and realized my truck came from his neck of the woods. I had work done to it at a shop in Portland before it was shipped to me ( yes, I bought a truck 3000mi away off a logging company without ever seeing it in person, an epic story maybe to tell at the idi rally) and they put Centennial 85 month batteries in it. Group 65-85, 820cca with a phone number and international warrenty. Very pleased with there so far. Heath, I'm not sure if these are regional batteries and not a nation wide available item or another sticker for a Textron battery, but this Centennial and the Federals I mentioned prove to be nothing but quality to me. Good luck, man.

That takes some balls my friend, dang. Looks like you came out with a good ole Oregon truck though ;Sweet.

Oregon sure does have some pretty land out there, thats for sure. I lived out in the foothills of the cascades, so if any of you have seen Rambo: First blood, it looks basically the exact same as that, 6months out of the year LOL

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The factory new ones just seem to last the longest or is it me?

With 99% of the driving public, that statement is true on account of everything else in the electrical system also being brand-new and in the best shape that it will ever be the whole life of the vehicle.

Of course, there are a few of us within that remaining 1% that go to great lengths to insure that our vehicles become more dependable/long-lasting with each screw we turn; Ford threw them together for "consumers"; it takes some owner-engineering to modify them for the long haul.;Sweet

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I got an education in batteries from my local dealer, John Bennet. Midnight Rider hit the nail on the head with his statement above. As for as the mauufacturing goes, the Federals I use, Dekas, Cat, Peterbilts, and others are made by East Penn Manufacturing. The source of Napa batteries changes according to him. After dealing with East Penn Dekas for a while, Napa will try to boost profit margins and bid out to a lesser quality battery and keep charging same price. The quantity of batteries sold declines and customer complaints rise, they change back to a better battery so Napa doesn't always a Deka battery. Eastpenn-deka.com reveals these batteries are made in the USA and have the quality we are looking for as it seems everyone agrees that Deka is a good battery. So E.P.M. on the battery's cardboard cover indicates it is a Deka, a Federal in my neck of the woods. These batteries are made in Lyon Station, PA so we are supporting our country in buying them. This was interesting to me so I thought I'd might as well share it.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the sealed lead acid Group 31s from Interstate, I did have one replaced under warranty but it was mismatched it was a wet cell battery. It was kind of weird for them to sell me one of each in the first place, I thought....but what do I know? Then they tried to tell me that they really shouldn't cover it because it was misapplied in my truck, which I though was total BS...I eventually got it replaced for free and no more issues.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I like the sealed lead acid Group 31s from Interstate, I did have one replaced under warranty but it was mismatched it was a wet cell battery. It was kind of weird for them to sell me one of each in the first place, I thought....but what do I know? Then they tried to tell me that they really shouldn't cover it because it was misapplied in my truck, which I though was total BS...I eventually got it replaced for free and no more issues.

Missapplied, what a joke, 31s is a universal batt that goes into every kind of oddball piece of equipment and the wimpiest 31s is about 1/3 again at least more powerful than what the vehicle calls for cookoo

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
i got a quite for the Cat 31s battery (1000CCA) for $99 from my local ford dealer (with our pricing at the shop). i was a little iffy if i wanted to switch to the lug style ends right away but after seeing the screw on studs to use my factory ends i think im gunna bite the bullet and go for it.

midnightrider or anyone else who has the flop over the battery...care to take a picture?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got a quite for the Cat 31s battery (1000CCA) for $99 from my local ford dealer (with our pricing at the shop). i was a little iffy if i wanted to switch to the lug style ends right away but after seeing the screw on studs to use my factory ends i think im gunna bite the bullet and go for it.

midnightrider or anyone else who has the?? flop ??over the battery...care to take a picture?

I figure you meant FLAP.

Try as I might, so far I am too ignorant to do pictures. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle