Best Batteries..???

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI, but walmart batteries are made by the same people who make optima and a WHOLE SLEW of in house brand batteries, Johnson Controls. I dont think you can trust anyones quality anymore. Coporate america attitude. Im seeing so many brands going the way of the hill its not even funny. When you really dig into it you will find that almost every major brand is corporately owned.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
i hate wal mart batteries, i bought a few they bothe died within two years, my dad bought some too one he got 2 years out of but the other is still going hopefully it wont give out soon

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
CAT batteries in one truck, CarQuest in the other.....Hard to beat the CAT batteries - very well made inside to handle severe vibration.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Motomaster eleminator batteries. 850 CCA's with a 160 minute reserve for $109 a piece plus the $10 a piece core (which I get back tomorrow). Walked outta Canadian Tire for $271 and some change for 2 group 65's.

It's amazing what an 8 millimeter socket, extention and a ratchet along with a 1/2 inch wrench will do to brighten someone's day!

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very best: Oddysey PC2150S...but at $350 a piece they are tooo $$$$ unless your application involves life-or-death situations.

Interstates have always been good to me, so have the NAPA batteries. Optima is either good or bad; I always seem to get the bad ones.
I have the same Battery, BAD @ DA BONE! works awesome!
Javier

antivtec

Brown Bomber
Reaction score
i've had to pull start my truck 3 times in last week thanks to crappy wal mart batteries and the cold weather. we use napa batteries on the farm and have good luck with them, i think i'm going to go get me a set.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
the group 31 NAPA batter that was in the scout sat in the garage a year and a half, i gave it a quick charge and threw it in my 392 powered RV and it's been working great (sits for months on end) starts everytime. i've heard good things about interstate batteries too. i don't know what i'm gonna use in the scout yet, i figure as i'm only running it in the summer i should be ok with one battery what do you guys think???:confused:

-Jon

IH_444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I've never had good luck with interstate batters, I've had 3 fail in the last year (and all were between 1 and 2 yrs old). There's an exide around here still kicking at 7 yrs old. Also we have ran exides in several lawn mowers and they last about 4 yrs where the cheapo ones last a year or two (if you're lucky).
I put a pair of brand new exides in my IDI about 2-3 weeks ago. $184 for the pair, 850 CCa and 1000 CA. So far they work good but my starter is a bit weak.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Actually the walmart batteries I just returned, that's right I made them give me my money back for them, were Excide brand batteries. I don't remember seeing Johnson Controlls on them anywhere. But maybe I missed it.

tknomaj

Reaction score
Hate to admit it but my truck has two AZ Duralast Golds in it. Purchased truck with them three years ago . Sat for about a year until I could find the motor I wanted Charged them and have not died yet Two Years later:dunno
Had Interstate MTP 65's sitting in the wing waiting for their death but has not happened . Sold the 65's to customers . I sell intersates at the shop and pulled one out of a truck last week 7 years old nothing wrong with it customer just wanted a New One. Only good thing about Wally World batteries is they warranty them easy enough and receipt is on side of battery . cannot say about cat batteries, but delco batteries are made in china the american plants have been shut down

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
the group 31 NAPA batter that was in the scout sat in the garage a year and a half, i gave it a quick charge and threw it in my 392 powered RV and it's been working great (sits for months on end) starts everytime. i've heard good things about interstate batteries too. i don't know what i'm gonna use in the scout yet, i figure as i'm only running it in the summer i should be ok with one battery what do you guys think???:confused:

-Jon

One batt is not going to be enough, it'll be just enough to start in a good place and leave you stranded in a bad one.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Optima has gone to crap since they canned all their american employees and moved the factory to mexico and quit using new led in the things. THey now are basically an overpriced pretty case with a recycled battery inside. I have the red tops in my gas burner cars and i just had to replace both of their batts in the last few months , again, this is after doing the same thing last year with both of them. Heck, Optima doesn't even trust the things anymore.. Thye used to have 36 month free replacement, then 36 month prorated warranty, now all you get with the things is 36 month and that's it! My friend at the local advance store tells me that they get more Optimas in dead than any other battery, they have better luck with the bottom of the line store brand nowdays, didn't used to be that way. Pretty sad.
They used to make a quality product, but those days are long gone.

Popeye2347

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good batteries are where you find them, but my vote is with Interstate batteries, but not the ones from the dealers, [sorry Roy Boy] but the ECONO line found at the distributers.
They are new returns that are checked 'every way known to man', then and only then are they offered for sale to the public, usually at 1/3 to 1/2 the new price. Between a friend and myself we have bought over 12 Econo's and only one was defective, and it was replaced at no charge. Call the distributer first to check on availability.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually the walmart batteries I just returned, that's right I made them give me my money back for them, were Excide brand batteries. I don't remember seeing Johnson Controlls on them anywhere. But maybe I missed it.

If it says ever-start on it, its made by johnson controls, one of the worlds biggest automotive battery manufacturers. Its beginning to become impossible to know who makes what anymore. The brand names you have trusted for years might just be that, a name, bought out by a huge corporation.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those that swear by the Odyssey, but don't want to pay the price, check out the Sears Die Hard, and find one spec'd how you like, then compare the prices. Platinum Group 31's from Die Hard are the same as a PC2150 Odyssey, and roughly ~$100 cheaper.