battery cables

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey anybody know what the stock cable size is on our early 90's navstars??? Im looking to replace mine because the second batttery, the one with the two way termilnal has been cut back of the sheeth to expose the cable inside for inspection. I want to get a second cable setup and ready, and should be placig an order for some double cable ends from Waytec or McMaster Carr...

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC the stock size is 1/O...but, I wouldn't let that stop me. The more amps you can get to the starter, the faster the engine will spin, and a larger cable will allow for more efficient transmission of power. I've got 2/O custom-made cables on my truck, and if $ had allowed at the time, I would have gone bigger. You'll be okay with sticking to 1/O, but if you can, I would recommend going bigger.

FWIW...

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey WARDEN... bigger is better, Yea Ill go with 2/0
SUV... thanks for the link, Ive emailed him to check prices

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, if I had known about custombatterycables.com when I did my cables, I would have bought them from him instead of making them myself. It ended up costing about the same (even with getting an employee discount through a friend at West Marine), and I have yet to hear anything bad about quality from them.

OTOH, I know exactly what I have now...and, the marine-style terminals are to my liking :D

fsSnowboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the custombatterycables.com cables on my truck last year and they are awesome. On my truck it took a little maneuvering of the cable to get it to line up just right but once i got them on I was glad I bought them. Have him include the terminal covers as well, its not that much more and they are done real nice.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I replaced my cables a month or so back because of hard cranking - I was able to pick them up at Autozone back by the batteries - they had cables of various lengths with ends all ready installed.

fordf550e

Reaction score
Custombatterycables.com is the only way to go. cheaper and better tahn ford, and you cant find our application anywhere else anymore. I bought from him and i am really happy, a real quality battery cable.

T;Really

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I made mine up from 3/0 cable ;Sweet I got the bulk cable and fittings from Truck Pro, and it cost s bunch less than the online cables, bear in mind, I already own a battery cable crimp tool, which runs about $48. It was also the only way to go since i was switching to big truck stud top batteries.

When it comes to cables, the bigger the better. Less resistance, starter will spin faster and run cooler. I don't think I'd want to try a 4/0 though, the 3/0 gets pretty tough to bend :D

-------Robert

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When it comes to cables, the bigger the better. Less resistance, starter will spin faster and run cooler. I don't think I'd want to try a 4/0 though, the 3/0 gets pretty tough to bend :D

-------Robert
Yea I hear that... when I did the engine swap in the grand am, I moved the battery to the trunk, running the cables to rear, and adding a cuttoff switch, showed me how stiff cables can be. Not very easily bent around corners for custom look.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
+1 more for custombatterycables.com

It's hard to find better quality/workmanship than this guy does.

I'm very satisfied with mine. Prolly gained 100-200 RPM cranking speed with his cables.

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got a 10ft section of 2/0 cable and a 1 gauge cable for 50 shipped from someone off of ebay. bought the terminals and lugs seperate.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Uh... I think 1/0 is larger than 2/0. In wire sizes, the smaller the number, the larger the wire diameter.
I think it goes 2-1-0-00-0/1-0/2-0/3
0 is bigger than 1
00 is bigger that 0
0/1 bigger than 00......
somebody say something if I'm wrong....:D

& I think 1/0 is same as 0/1
2/0 is same as 0/2....
Or it could be that there's a correct/right/wrong way of saying it...2/0 vs 0/2....
I do know welding lead about thumb size works!!!!

I better shut up, now I'm getting mixed up!!!!!

somebody heeeellppppppppp......

Last edited: