Banks up pipe-pedestal connection issue

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled the up pipe off to get access to some wiring which had melted on it, thinking it'd be an easy morning project, but I didn't really put much thought into getting the up pipe re-secured to the turbo pedestal when I was finished. The flange on the pipe keeps sliding down the pipe. By grabbing every single extension I had in the tool box, I was able to put extensions on either side and slide it back up there, but getting it to settle onto the studs on the pedestal so I could start screwing in the nuts was another story. Any other way to skin this cat? I'm thinking pull up the carpet and remove the tunnel cover, and go at it from there? Just posting in case there's a "duh" I missed.

Thanks.

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a first gen Banks, and I also might be using the wrong term. It's a bracket around the up pipe with 2 holes in it (same as what connects to the exhaust manifolds) that you slide over the studs on the pedestal, then tighten the nuts over them. Problem is getting it into and holding it in place while you get that 1st nut on.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
If it's what I think it is, the ATS uses the same set up on the cross over and they put a dab of weld a few inches down from the end to keep the flange from slipping down too far. I haven't seen the older Banks, so I don't know if it's cast iron or what, but that may make it easier.

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's what I think it is, the ATS uses the same set up on the cross over and they put a dab of weld a few inches down from the end to keep the flange from slipping down too far. I haven't seen the older Banks, so I don't know if it's cast iron or what, but that may make it easier.

Sounds like what you think it is. This Banks is a case study in passive aggression if you ask me. But, anyway, I'm going to just pull the damn carpet up and try to get at it from the transmission cover.

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From first hand expiriance the banks turbo systens are a retarted amalgemation of randomly thrown together parts to put a turbon on the 6.9 7.3 with out precision engineering and involve massive amounts of gayness. The putting boost on the engine part of the design is very good but the mounting it part is severly retarted and who ever designed it should be castrated.

Good luck.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From first hand expiriance the banks turbo systens are a retarted amalgemation of randomly thrown together parts to put a turbon on the 6.9 7.3 with out precision engineering and involve massive amounts of gayness. The putting boost on the engine part of the design is very good but the mounting it part is severly retarted and who ever designed it should be castrated.

:rotflmao

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Good luck.

Trying to look on the bright side, I now have a killin' collection of flex couplings and stub wrenches I've NEVER needed until I R&R'd that turbo. And do my eyes deceive me or is the up pipe smashed like a stock IDI turbo down pipe? I couldn't see too well, but it looked like it could have been the random blows of a frustrated installer, not Banks.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Taking the tunnel cover off makes it easier, but youre probably going to have to do it all by touch. its still a little difficult.

It is really just a huge PITA. I have fought with and cussed at for many hours at this damn turbo. I have pulled it off a few times and each time when it comes to reassembling it I think about selling it. I dread it so much!!! I just pulled the 6.9 out yesterday and left the turbo on, it was difficult but a lot better than even touching the mounting bracket.

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks 65. If I can touch it, I'll take it. Beats going at it with 36" of extensions. I've got some new carpet and neutral safety switch going in, so I'll be in there anyway. Is your up pipe crushed at all, or completely round?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
That problem you have is the problem I loath the most about the older non gated Banks systems.cookoo

It is really a 2 person job.

One on top holding the flange in place and the second one underneath with 30" of extensions and a wobble socket getting those 2 nuts tightened.:puke:

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
papastruck: My up-pipe is completely round and just slips onto the pipes coming up from the manifolds. I think I am going to get a new up pipe made froma shop, its has a hole and leaks some exhaust out of it.

That problem you have is the problem I loath the most about the older non gated Banks systems.cookoo

It is really a 2 person job.

One on top holding the flange in place and the second one underneath with 30" of extensions and a wobble socket getting those 2 nuts tightened.:puke:

yes it is a 2 person job, unless your just a young kid full of energy like I was when I first got this turboLOL, course it takes twice as long by yourself.

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 pieces? Lucky dog. Mine's one piece and won't drop more than a few inches before it hits the tranny x-member. But that makes the solution obvious: cut it out & make a 2 piece replacement up pipe with a fixed clamp at the top.

This project list keeps growing faster than I can trim it. Thanks guys for the helpful info.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya the pipe that bolts to the back of the turbo is about 18 inches and angles down towards the ground.

Are you still using the original banks box? I would like to try to find a way to build an intake hat for this turbo. It seems very unlikely though.