Banks 1st Gen turbo outlet size

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only have experience with the stock Ford unit but my leaks were multiple and each one far more soot that that one leak and I still pushed enough boost to hit 10-12 at the top end. Fixing the leaks made my low end way way better.

So I'd say that isn't worth the effort to tear apart if you asked me. :)

Last edited:

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sooo

How hard is it to get to those exhaust manifold bolts.

Found 2-3 little leaks like this

I think I’m in “just pull the engine” territory

You must be registered for see images attach

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only have experience with the stock Ford unit but my leaks were multiple and each one far more soot that than one leak and I still pushed enough boost to hit 10-12 at the top end. Fixing the leaks made my low end way way better.

So I'd say that isn't worth the effort to tear apart if you asked me. :)

I have the 1st gen Banks turbo just paid $500+ to have it rebuilt and upgraded by typ4

And I can only make 4psi. From talking to others I should be seeing at least 10 if not 12-15 psi wide open

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s your leak for sure. If you pull the inner fenders it’s a real simple job to replace them. For now just go in and snug all the exhaust manifold bolts and see how it improves.

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There’s your leak for sure. If you pull the inner fenders it’s a real simple job to replace them. For now just go in and snug all the exhaust manifold bolts and see how it improves.

They are quite crusty. I'd be worried i'd break one while trying to snug them up. Of course I don't have a ton of experience working on these. I have done exhaust manifolds before on other vehicles with much less rust.

If I can get good access might be wiser to just wait a bit until have time to work on it, clear the fenders out, soak for a few days and try to bust loose with an impact?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They typically aren’t bad, they like to rattle loose a lot more than they seem to seize. Granted I’m not in the rust belt, but I’ve worked on some trucks from the coast with that much rust and the manifolds came off fine. I’d wager the two bolts around the port that’s leaking are pretty loose.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If I can get good access might be wiser to just wait a bit until have time to work on it, clear the fenders out, soak for a few days and try to bust loose with an impact?
That sounds like a good plan to me. A good impact usually doesn't have much trouble with these bolts. No matter how they look. An impact swivel helps a lot too.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 1st gen Banks turbo just paid $500+ to have it rebuilt and upgraded by typ4

And I can only make 4psi. From talking to others I should be seeing at least 10 if not 12-15 psi wide open
Oh 4psi even at 3k? Yeah that's no good. I thought it was just 4psi at 2k but I went back to re-read it and you said 4psi at 2500. By then you should be in the meat of the boost even with the 1st gen banks.

I sure hope you find the culprit, its SO much more enjoyable with the turbo addition doing its job. My setup maxed out at 5psi for a while before I got many things figured out so I know your pain!

Good thing you have clean headers, I would never be able to find a soot leak that small on my rig...

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Snugged the exhaust manifold gasket bolts down this morning. One or two was not very tight. No change unfortunately.

I pulled the Turbo off this afternoon. Looks like the shop I had install the turbo did not get one of the nuts tight.

The turbo mount is coming off as well, going to reseal that connection. And do the manifold gaskets.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You're better off doing it right the first time. That's what I keep telling myself on mine. Now that it's been a few days since I've worked on it, I actually miss it. Maybe tomorrow after going to a funeral.:dunno

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're better off doing it right the first time. That's what I keep telling myself on mine. Now that it's been a few days since I've worked on it, I actually miss it. Maybe tomorrow after going to a funeral.:dunno

I am debating if I am going to remove the turbo mount. It’s probably another 4 hours of work to remove and install. Pro- might as well do it while I’m here. Con - prolly be totally unnecessary. I got a good look at the joint with the turbo out. The discolored spot is definitely not soot. It looks more like some penetrating oil made its way there when the shop was removing the turbo a few weeks ago.

On the other hand, the turbo definitely was leaking at the flange. I got the little crush gasket off a few mins ago.

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh,

Is it necessary for the nuts that hold the turbo to the flange to be locknuts? It seems like reassembly will be easier with regular nuts

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You're probably pretty close on your time estimate. With that down pipe in there and the up pipe, It would be a lot more work. At least you know that it's not soot behind there now.

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spent 2 hrs today cleaning everything up. I had intended to replace the exhaust manifold gaskets however I have been procrastinating on that.

I did discover something notable, if you look closely the stud is missing where the turbo flange was leaking. That stud is basically welded to the nut (I think the nut is cross threaded) and it had no hope of applying any clamping pressure to the flange. So that leak was probably a bad one and responsible for most of my pressure loss. Fingers crossed..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VWAudiFord

Members online