Banks 1st Gen turbo outlet size

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Banks still stocks hardware for your kit last I checked. If you give them a call they should have the studs, or you could buy some from arp

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spent 2 hrs today cleaning everything up. I had intended to replace the exhaust manifold gaskets however I have been procrastinating on that.

I did discover something notable, if you look closely the stud is missing where the turbo flange was leaking. That stud is basically welded to the nut (I think the nut is cross threaded) and it had no hope of applying any clamping pressure to the flange. So that leak was probably a bad one and responsible for most of my pressure loss. Fingers crossed..
I actually saw that! I didn't think much of it though since half the stuff on any turbo exhaust side is all rusty and jacked up...

Hope that was the main point of leakage and you can get to enjoy the boost soon!

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Banks still stocks hardware for your kit last I checked. If you give them a call they should have the studs, or you could buy some from arp

They do, and last time I called (for the turbo outlet gasket) the person on the phone was knowledgeable and knew exactly what I needed.

However they charged me $20 bucks for standard shipping on $11 of paper gaskets!

So I have the old stud in the car with me today and i'm going to run out at lunch and see if any of the auto parts stores have something that will work. I know advance/oreilly etc.. have a bunch of exhaust studs/nuts in the "help" section so I hope I can find something that matches.

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually saw that! I didn't think much of it though since half the stuff on any turbo exhaust side is all rusty and jacked up...

Hope that was the main point of leakage and you can get to enjoy the boost soon!

Ha I went back and looked at my own pics here and discovered that the missing stud was not the part that was leaking. You can see where it was leaking past the upper left stud that is still in place. Either way, it was definitely leaking.

I have a new metal turbo gasket on the way today, going to spray it with copper spray-a-gasket (unelss someone thinks this is a bad idea) and install tonight. If I still don't have good boost, i'll get to the exhaust manifold gaskets on Sunday.

Just for the knowledge base, the studs are 3/8-16 thread on one side, 3/8-24 on the other, and are about 1.5" long.

Last edited:

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well unfortunately after a ton of work I am still not seeing anything over 4psi, WOT 2500 RPM

I have gone through the exhaust side of things. I removed the banks up-pipe and my exhaust manifolds, replaced the manifold gaskets, scrubbed the flanges good with a wire brush, put back together using permatex copper sealant on the joints. Tightened the flange nuts evenly (alternating sides) to 40 ft-lbs. Removed the turbo itself and fixed one of the studs on the turbo mount and installed a new metal gasket. At that time I was able to get a good 360 degree look at the up-pipe to turbo flange joint, no soot anywhere to indicate a leak.

On the intake side I replaced the 2" silicone boot from the turbo to intake, I replaced the intake hat to intake manifold seal with a large o-ring that banks provides with their kit, and I replaced the CDR blockoff o-ring as well.

Any suggestions on what else I can check? I am going to go back and redo my boost gauge plumbing with something better than what banks provides, but I don't think I have any issues there...

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That stinks that you did all that work but the low boost is still elusive...

Yes, that device would help as you could just run 15psi into the intake and listen. Or spray soapy water over all the intake connections.

What's your boost at 3200rpm?

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That stinks that you did all that work but the low boost is still elusive...

Yes, yes it does.

I don't know if i've let it go all the way to 3200 but when I say 4psi at 2500 I mean that I stomped on it at 2500 on the interstate and it ran up to 2800 or 2900 and never got above 4psi

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should be seeing more than that even with just stock fueling. If you look up amazon or eBay “boost leak tester” there’s similar products that have a pressure gauge built in which is what I use for pressure testing for leaks. You will need to plug the tailpipe to be able to hold pressure. You can also do the smoke test with dry ice or a smoke machine, or spray starting fluid around the intake connections with the engine idling and see if you get any change in idle.

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered the boost leak tester. Have to see about a plug for my exhaust but im sure I can figure that out

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plugged exhaust. Hooked up leak tester. Found one noticeable leak at the top of the intake hat where the bolt holds it down. I'll post pics later, I just have a regular looking bolt/washer. Not sure what's supposed to seal it there.

I threw a fat, appropriately sized o-ring on the bolt and re-installed. Seemed to take care of the problem. I looked hard for more leaks. The engine would not hold any pressure, it leaks down pretty fast. I felt a little air coming out of the crankcase vent. I have some blow-by but nothing too terrible. It runs clean, no smoke.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do it with the engine hot to minimize air going past the rings, you can use a copper washer to seal the intake hat bolt or a rubber sided washer.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should be seeing more than that even with just stock fueling. If you look up amazon or eBay “boost leak tester” there’s similar products that have a pressure gauge built in which is what I use for pressure testing for leaks. You will need to plug the tailpipe to be able to hold pressure. You can also do the smoke test with dry ice or a smoke machine, or spray starting fluid around the intake connections with the engine idling and see if you get any change in idle.

Can you please explain how you can use dry ice or a smoke machine?

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do it with the engine hot to minimize air going past the rings, you can use a copper washer to seal the intake hat bolt or a rubber sided washer.

It was warm but not hot. Probably drove it 1 hour prior to pulling in the garage.

Other issue is my tester connection is a schrader valve, not exactly a high volume inlet.

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove it today, noticeably better, i've gone from about 4psi max to 5.

Going to try some more with the leak tester today.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86