Banks 1st Gen turbo outlet size

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It should have enough heat in it then, no fun working on a fully nuclear hot engine. I remember you ended up making your own intake, what do you have for a filter?

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should have enough heat in it then, no fun working on a fully nuclear hot engine. I remember you ended up making your own intake, what do you have for a filter?

The biggest K&N I could find. Its a simple setup, there's no restriction.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/knn-re-0920/overview/

I'm seeing between .5 to 1 psi at 65-70mph on the highway just cruising unloaded. Around 22-2300 rpm.

One thing I may do tonight is plug the turbo and pressurize it from the tailpipe? The rush of air through the small schraeder valve right on top of the engine makes it difficult to hear any leaks. I had to feel the one on top of the intake hat.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are your egts? These early banks turbos aren’t bad for 15+ psi if you put a larger compressor wheel and housing on them to match the larger exhaust housing, one of my customers used a stock 7.3 with an unmodified ATS 088 (similar turbo to the early banks, big exhaust housing and wheel, small cold side) and my db2 tuning guide to make over 400hp with a little spray. Kinda copying the shop truck’s old setup, and currently the stock engine/turbo power record:
You must be registered for see images attach

Most people aren’t looking for big numbers like that, so if you’re going for better low end performance a smaller exhaust housing might be in order. It’s also likely that your compressor housing isn’t ideal for what you’re after either. The stock cast wheel is about a 54/64 and the housing is a .70 AR. When you go to a larger wheel, you decrease the AR even more since the AR is a value for the ratio of housing area to wheel area. With a 60-1 wheel, you’re going to a 60/76 from the 54/64, so I imagine your AR to be close to .5 now with that much of an increase, where the turbine housing is a 1.00 AR. I think your turbine and compressor wheels are a good combo, it’s just the housing match that doesn’t seem to be working.

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the turbo rebuilt by Russ as he has done a few of these for one other owner I talked to. Both compressor and turbine wheel replaced. Not sure what size they are.

The other owner told me via PM he has a 6.9 with studs, 3 to 4" exhaust, bull moose IP and this setup, and he is seeing 2-3 psi highway cruise and it pegs his gauge out at 15 WOT. I'd be thrilled if I got 2 at highway and 8-10 WOT. I don't plan on adding studs unless I have to pull the heads for some other reason.

FWIW I have a 3" exhaust all the way and the muffler is a 3" magna flow. Not sure if this could account for such a drastic difference.

As for what I am after, just want to make sure this turbo is doing all it should be! The truck runs well and makes good power.

I don't have an EGT yet. I have been careful not to get too ******* the throttle at low RPM's when driving (except for a few seconds during these WOT test runs to check the boost). I am getting a lot of power and dark haze from the exhaust on WOT so I know its getting plenty of fuel.

I replaced the probe with a new one from Banks when I had the turbo off a few weeks ago. Unfortunately nothing happens when I hook it to my gauge. I ordered a new gauge and it should be here in a few days.

Last edited:

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could always disconnect the exhaust at the downpipe connection, take it for a spin and see if theres any change.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you actually have black exhaust?
My 1st gen stock banks tops out around 5.5psi balls to the wall, I get a puff of black then it cleans up, I'm sure I have small boost and exhaust leaks, I will address them eventually...

You need fuel for boost, if your fuel system is tired you might not make much? If you're able to sustain black exhaust then never mind, but if it cleans up quick you may just be too lean. My turbo doesnt start waking up until after 2500 probably anyway (but my tach dont work so it's just a guess).

I cant recall hearing of people easily getting 10-15 psi with stock fuel and a stock NON-wg banks, even if it's been russ'd. But I could be forgetting. Now if it was wastegated sure...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online