Back in an idi again redux..this is a must see guys!

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeremy, this looks like an F150 or F250 booster, the F350 booster is smaller in diameter but much fatter as there are two diaphragms in there. The good thing about the truck being a '79 vs. any older is that the brake booster pedal rod has a straight shot through the firewall (older models used some funky linkage), which will make it much easier for you to install a newer booster, be it hydraulic or vacuum. Also, I think your engine is from a van, judging by the location of the fuel filter. And I agree with pulling blocks from both the front and the rear, really you should not be running any more than 4" blocks in the rear and it looks like you have more than that now? Good thing about factory blocks is that they have ears for one of the U-bolts to pass through, so they cannot fly off like many aftermarket blocks can, I see at least two pairs of factory blocks on your truck so it will be a good idea to reuse one of those for the rear.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
yea it is a van motor like mentioned you can tell by the filter mount and the long dipstick tube.

that frame work and cab mounts make me worry a little.

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
The motor supposedly came out of a shuttle bus. It sure runs good though, he said it only has 60,000 miles on the motor. Whether its true or not, I will probably never know. This truck is going to be a fun truck to work with, I love the 70's crewcab trucks.
Ivan, you said the earlier 70's had a strange pedal design? Its titled a 1974 truck, but has a 78-79 front end. We'll see what the linkage holds in store for me.

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
The motor supposedly came out of a shuttle bus. It sure runs good though, he said it only has 60,000 miles on the motor. Whether its true or not, I will probably never know. This truck is going to be a fun truck to work with, I love the 70's crewcab trucks.
Ivan, you said the earlier 70's had a strange pedal design? Its titled a 1974 truck, but has a 78-79 front end. We'll see what the linkage holds in store for me.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeremy, try to peek a look behind your brake booster, between the two C-shaped brackets that hold it to the firewall - if the rod coming out of the booster goes straight back and disappears through the firewall towards the pedal then you got the easy to work with setup, but if you see some linkage plates and pins between the booster and the firewall you got an earlier cab.

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
Well I am definately going with a dodge hyrdoboost now, time for a little fab work!
Front drivers caliper leaking, more stuff to work on. I will take pics during my hydroboost conversion and post all progress.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I.........H A T E you. I want one of those so bad my head hurts. None the less, I have to get my other IDI done before I start on the NEXT project, the Burbalanche.

SWS

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I am definately going with a dodge hyrdoboost now, time for a little fab work!
Front drivers caliper leaking, more stuff to work on. I will take pics during my hydroboost conversion and post all progress.

Jeremy, on your question - get that Dodge hydroboost, $50 is good price for it, especially if it comes with the master cylinder. You can probably use Superduty (old F450) pressure hoses, most pre-'97 Ford and GM hydroboost use the same threads at the booster ports so I will not be surprised if Dodge has the same booster body as well. If the pedal rod for the hydroboost is too long you can space the booster out of the firewall, now if the rod is too short then we may have to come up with something creative...

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
Well crap, the guy that had a "hydroboost" set for sale doesn't know the differance between a vaccuum booster and a hydrobooster.:mad:
Since it was coming off a 96 ram 2500 cummins truck, I thought it would be a hydroboost set-up, my 97 and 98 rams both had hydroboost. But this 96 assembly was a vaccuum booster. So there goes my super find on a hydroboost for the big green slimer. Guess I'll keep searching, everywhere else I look is about $250 for a set up off a superduty or big truck. I like the sound of $50 much better, so I'll keep searching.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online