Back in an idi again redux..this is a must see guys!

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
1979 F-350 crew cab long bed..........with a 6.9 diesel in her!!

I just got the blue 94 idi a couple weeks ago, and then I found this and had to have it. So with a little horse trading and some cash, the blue one is gone, and now I have this big bad dog! She needs a little body work here and there (rust :puke:) but all in all its a very solid truck and good runner. It has a C-6 for a trans, and the np-208 t-case. The front driveshaft is too short to reach the axle. 10 inches of lift does that I guess. My first priority will be lowering the truck a little, to a more manageable height.
It's now where close to the immaculate job Tim did on his 70's truck swap, but I can do some cleaning up and make her look real good. I wonder how much wood I can get in the bed of this one:eek:

Attachments

• DSCN0096.JPG
    DSCN0096.JPG
    664.6 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCN0097.JPG
    DSCN0097.JPG
    670.1 KB · Views: 124
  • DSCN0098.JPG
    DSCN0098.JPG
    676.2 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN0099.JPG
    DSCN0099.JPG
    667.3 KB · Views: 80

tractorman86

Reaction score
right on, where are the pics of the engine bay, has it got a hair drier yet?:D and are those 60s front and rear? that thing makes them and the tires look small. sweet find man!:thumbsup:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn, Jeremy, now this is what I call a good find! Just out of curiosity and for my personal future reference, how much did this thing run you, approximately? And how the hell did you find it????

Agreeed on the front blocks, pull them, ASAP, aside from being dangerous they can get you in a heap of trouble with the LEOs, especially since tis the end of the month now and they got quotas to fill.

Driveshaft, dunno how shops are in your area, but I'd recommend Arrow Truck from Detroit, they are near the Ambassador bridge - they work on big trucks mostly, an they did a great job retubing the front driveshaft of my old '78 F150, and even after replacing the U-joints with the largest Dana Spicers that can fit in there it still cost me less than half of what most "performance" shops quoted me.

JesterPgh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is freaking awesome. Glad you're going to ditch those front blocks, but you stated you wanted to lower it some anyways, so there ya go! That looks to be in very good shape! Congrats on a killer find. :thumbsup:

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
Damn, Jeremy, now this is what I call a good find! Just out of curiosity and for my personal future reference, how much did this thing run you, approximately? And how the hell did you find it????

Agreeed on the front blocks, pull them, ASAP, aside from being dangerous they can get you in a heap of trouble with the LEOs, especially since tis the end of the month now and they got quotas to fill.

Driveshaft, dunno how shops are in your area, but I'd recommend Arrow Truck from Detroit, they are near the Ambassador bridge - they work on big trucks mostly, an they did a great job retubing the front driveshaft of my old '78 F150, and even after replacing the U-joints with the largest Dana Spicers that can fit in there it still cost me less than half of what most "performance" shops quoted me.

Ivan, I found it on craigslist in southern OH, he was asking $4,500. I traded my 94 idi and some cash for it. I'll say this much I didn't spend as much as he was asking. I feel I got a fair deal on the truck, but it definately needs some tlc. The brakes suck, it feels like the master cylinder is the culprit. I am going to try and convert it over to a gm or dodge hydroboost system. it doesn't have a track bar on front, and the steering is a little sloppy, proly because it needs a track bar. I'll tackle one problem at a time.

Mel, I'm not sure who's responsible for the actuall conversion. It still needs some completeing and finishing touches.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hell, pitch the front blocks and lower the rear to match, and get rid of the body lift...should be a much more manageable height but still be able to fit 35's.

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
Here's some engine pics. I also took a shot of where the frame has been extended. He told me that Ford never made a factory crewcab long bed 4x4 truck in the 70's.:dunno

Attachments

• IMG_1506.JPG
    IMG_1506.JPG
    428 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1507.JPG
    IMG_1507.JPG
    452.3 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1508.JPG
    IMG_1508.JPG
    464.3 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1509.JPG
    IMG_1509.JPG