Baby Moose has arrived!!!

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure they will come out just fine :D . I'm sure your truck has had much better maintenance than mine.

Have you mounted that bumper? I'm curious to see how it looks on your truck :)

Got the injectors and glow plugs in. According to what I found on the Car-fax report when I bought the truck, the p/o had most of the maintenance done at the dealer. Glow plugs were Beru just like what I put in. ;Sweet They didn't look bad, just put in the new ones since I had them.

You must be registered for see images attach

Probably keep them as spares or see if someone could use them. :dunno

The fuel injectors didn't look that bad considering they still had grey paint on them too:

As far as B.O.B., as my neighbor named it. (big old bumper) :rotflmao We put it on the day after we got it from you.

Looks pretty good to me. I have had quite a few positive comments. The neighbor says that I need a B.O.W. now. (big old winch)

Thanks again, My son and I had fun and enjoyed meeting you. As far as your thread on the truck smoking, I would be glad to check the timing again, but it cost me $200 in fuel for that trip. :eek: (could get another Ferret meter for that) Still well worth it for BOB!!!! ;Sweet

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure to some extent, what happens on paper, and what happens in real life is not always the same. But one thing you can be sure of, is that the one time you wash your running or hot engine and your pump seizes up, your going to be blaming the guy who said it was OK to do it. Not the guy who told you not to! LOL

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Amen to that Mel.. Kinda like all the Hall of shame warnings AFTER a person has asked for advice on buying... You can lead them but you can't make them buy...:rolleyes: I'm always saddened to learn another vic has appeared on this site asking for help from an unscrupulus ebay seller...

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well.................... It started GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!! ;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet

Took the usual priming time, stumbled a little (emphasis on a little), then fired right up. :rock:

Couldn't time it yet, it started raining again. :dunno Will try later tonight or tomorrow. Idles smoother that it ever has and runs great.

I highly recommend this to anyone even thinking about it. Another (baby) Moosed truck on the road.

Thanks to Mel and Suzi at Conestoga Diesel. :hail:hail:hail I had a small question while in process about the torque spec on a bolt (no prob.) they were great on the phone. Nice to have a company that believes in Customer service!!! ;Sweet

Once timed, I will try to post a video. Again, if you want or need to replace your i.p., go to Conestoga, you won't be disappointed

blackflag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just received my baby moose today from Conestoga Diesel and am very excited about getting it installed. I would love to attempt it myself, just lacking a little confidence to do it. Regardless, I'm excited about getting it on my truck. And yes, Mel's customer service was top notch!

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as B.O.B., as my neighbor named it. (big old bumper) :rotflmao We put it on the day after we got it from you.

Looks pretty good to me. I have had quite a few positive comments. The neighbor says that I need a B.O.W. now. (big old winch)

Thanks again, My son and I had fun and enjoyed meeting you. As far as your thread on the truck smoking, I would be glad to check the timing again, but it cost me $200 in fuel for that trip. :eek: (could get another Ferret meter for that) Still well worth it for BOB!!!! ;Sweet

Awesome bumper! Looks like it would fit a Warn 8274; that would qualify as a BOW.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just received my baby moose today from Conestoga Diesel and am very excited about getting it installed. I would love to attempt it myself, just lacking a little confidence to do it. Regardless, I'm excited about getting it on my truck. And yes, Mel's customer service was top notch!

I am very pleased with it. I am waiting for daylight to time it, but it still starts better than it ever has and idles so smooth it's almost scary. :eek: :D

As far as doing it yourself, I learned from reading here. Mel's article is fantastic. You need to modify a wrench for the 3 nuts holding the pump to the timing gear cover (a little grinding to thin them out, and bending it to fit the passenger side bolt), and a timing meter setup ($200 Ferret meter, and a good timing light. Good articles here about that, too :D)

I took some time to plan it out. Left myself a day or 2 just in case there was trouble with the glow plugs/injectors. And took my time. Not trying to push you into it, but it really isn't that hard, just different from working on a gas engine. This is my 1st diesel. I have owned it for about 4 years now and this site has taught me (and continually teaches me more and more) about these trucks. I am learning partly because I can't afford to pay someone to work on it, and mostly because, after talking to some very knowledgeable people in the mechanics trade who know their stuff usually, I have found that working on these engines is becoming a lost art. Most people don't know the little things that make these engines last.

Keep learning here. The brotherhood continues to grow better and I enjoy learning and passing on what I learn.

rockbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excellent work! Sounds like the plan was flawless, aside from a little drizzle. Now you have some spare glowplugs too!

Thanks for keeping us updated on the progress. You guys that take the time to wash your hands and take a few photos during the course of battle are always much appreciated. I'll be interested to hear how your timing progress goes!

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent work! Sounds like the plan was flawless, aside from a little drizzle. Now you have some spare glowplugs too!

Thanks for keeping us updated on the progress. You guys that take the time to wash your hands and take a few photos during the course of battle are always much appreciated. I'll be interested to hear how your timing progress goes!

"You guys that take the time to wash your hands", You mean I was supposed to do that? LOL

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure to some extent, what happens on paper, and what happens in real life is not always the same. But one thing you can be sure of, is that the one time you wash your running or hot engine and your pump seizes up, your going to be blaming the guy who said it was OK to do it. Not the guy who told you not to! LOL

OMG SMH I am sure you have seen many siezed pumps from the car wash, that is why you mentioned it....

Javier

osokusmc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am very pleased with it. I am waiting for daylight to time it, but it still starts better than it ever has and idles so smooth it's almost scary. :eek: :D

As far as doing it yourself, I learned from reading here. Mel's article is fantastic. You need to modify a wrench for the 3 nuts holding the pump to the timing gear cover (a little grinding to thin them out, and bending it to fit the passenger side bolt), and a timing meter setup ($200 Ferret meter, and a good timing light. Good articles here about that, too :D)

I took some time to plan it out. Left myself a day or 2 just in case there was trouble with the glow plugs/injectors. And took my time. Not trying to push you into it, but it really isn't that hard, just different from working on a gas engine. This is my 1st diesel. I have owned it for about 4 years now and this site has taught me (and continually teaches me more and more) about these trucks. I am learning partly because I can't afford to pay someone to work on it, and mostly because, after talking to some very knowledgeable people in the mechanics trade who know their stuff usually, I have found that working on these engines is becoming a lost art. Most people don't know the little things that make these engines last.

Keep learning here. The brotherhood continues to grow better and I enjoy learning and passing on what I learn.

The biggest thing I've learned in my short time here is that I've seen a lot of old ford diesels sent to market for problems that probably could have been solved fairly easily if anyone knew a little about the engines.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the timing done. It was only 1.5 deg out when I checked it. ;Sweet Got it set, works great!!!

Found out my throttle cable is binding up though. Oh well, more fun ahead. :D

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a nice picture of fun ahead for you... Thats the best part of doing this work. Its simple.. clean type work... you don't have to remove most of the top of the engine to reach the glow plugs or injecters like the psd crowd does... Nice work too.
For me, the WORST part of this job was ******* the top of the radiator and having the hood latch in my stomach for what seemed like hours.
But it was worth it, as I named it "The Baby Moose" ;Really

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726