Baby Moose has arrived!!!

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Baby Moose pump, 8 BB code injectors, etc. has arrived!!!!;Sweet :D

Thanks go out to Suzi Agne (the person I talked to) and the crew at Conestoga Diesel. Easy ordering process, and prompt shipping.

Plan is to install either This Sunday or next Thur as my work allows. Studied up on Mel's article, very informative.

Will keep you all informed.

You must be registered for see images attach

gandalf

Reaction score
That's a good thing, both that everything arrived;Sweet and that you're going to get it all in so soon;Sweet.

Read Mel's article several times, the part which applies to what you're doing. Then keep it handy when you're actually doing the job. It's not really a hard job after that. Just take it slow and easy.

Report your progress please.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Very nice.:thumbsup: My daughters will be jealous hearing that you got to talk to Suzi. They are both quite fond of her after attending a couple of rallys and getting to ride in the Lady Moose.:sly I'd pressure wash and blow dry the engine with compressed air before I started the IP and injector swap. Good luck and keep us posted.;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
;Sweet:slyWell good for you.. and be happy. Crack a smile too....:thumbsup::D The post about cleaning off the top of the engine is a great suggestion. What shape and brand are the glow plugs... Good time to replace them too when all the lines are out of the way. Another great thing to do during this is to get a compression test done especially if the glow plugs are out. I know I'm adding on to the work load but some things are easier to do during this work. Remember the three drive bolts torque is 25 lbs. Seems high but those tiny screws are a special hardened material. The also are the same hex and length bolt that holds the rear u joint on the differantial yoke.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Goose, what would you use to block the intake when you washed it?

I'd clean the area directly around the intake first then duct tape over the screen. Do a final wrap around the whole thing and fold it flat. Don't aim for the tape you may slice it.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I've been planning this for a long time.
Got a new set of zd9's going in when I do it. Probably not going to do the compression test, just can't swing the cash right now for the tester.
I will be taking into account all suggestions, but like I wrote, it has been in the planning stage for over 1-2 years. I have look at all write-ups several times and Mel's article will be there the whole time. I am really looking forward to the project and results.
I keep the engine pretty clean, but the pressure wash is a definite yes!!!

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have, the same items sitting in my closet waiting for the warm, weather to be installed, take lots of pics please :)

That makes sense, in areas where theres lots of crud do you think I could use a solvent like brake clean?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Brakeclean will do a good job but engine cleaner cuts the baked and caked on crude better. Then cut most of the bristles off a paint brush so the action gets more rubbing done. I use a 1 inch brush. Sometimes I use the metal acid brushes cut down too.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a car wash nearby? I use the pressure washer to clean engines before I ****** them. I just leave the engine running and spray away! IDI fairly easy to wash out, all the water flows down the valley and over the transmission on to the ground.

Never been afraid to wash a running engine especially a diesel.

Javier

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
awesome, i just did the exact same replacements about 4 weeks ago baby moose, BBs, and rtn line kit, even the zd9s... it made a hellava difference on start up, and now with the engine much quieter i have to watch my speed sometimes!! great investment, you will enjoy..

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
take lots of pics please :)

I will try. Just might get to excited and forget. :rotflmao I need to remember to take a slow, methodical approach, but it can be hard sometimes.

dizdak said:
awesome, i just did the exact same replacements about 4 weeks ago baby moose, BBs, and rtn line kit, even the zd9s... it made a hellava difference on start up, and now with the engine much quieter i have to watch my speed sometimes!! great investment, you will enjoy..

Not expecting huge power or anything to outrageous, I know the Baby Moose is just (?) a fantastically done stock rebuild. I am pretty sure current IP/injectors are stock (191,000 miles :eek:) so I am just looking for a great running/starting truck. Thanks for the info, it seems that my expectations just might be exceeded. :D;Sweet:sly

Slade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running the same set up your installing, you should get a pleasant surprise with the increase of throttle response and power. Make sure to set your timing.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
.........I'd pressure wash and blow dry the engine with compressed air before I started the IP and injector swap......

Yeh, shoulda done that myself before opening everything up. Valley pan and intake manifold were BEYOND nasty, as the CDR donut was sitting on the valley pan. ACK! Our cleanup wasn't good enough; one of my new BBs apparently caught something unclean, and has been unhappy for a while. :frustrate

You must be registered for see images attach

Congrats, Alan, on your wise purchase! If & when I ever get my injector miss fixed, hopefully I can come down and check my timing with you. Looking forward to hear your new injection system run! ;Sweet:D:love: