autorx?

wmoguy

Reaction score
I've heard a lot of good things about this stuff on here by OB members. I wanted to try a bottle prior to next oil change but can't find it anywhere in store. Is there a chain that carries it, or is it online ordering only?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your engine was clean I would'nt
use it, but I hate magic in a can. I only use one oil additive product and that is Essentialube by hydrotex, it will un stick almost any lifter and clean crankcases like mad.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Just google AutoRX. You put it in when you do an oil change, and run it over the life of the oil change. I thought it was snake oil....but my results prove otherwise.

wmoguy

Reaction score
If your engine was clean I would'nt
use it, but I hate magic in a can. I only use one oil additive product and that is Essentialube by hydrotex, it will un stick almost any lifter and clean crankcases like mad.

well obviously the top end of mine is spotless. The bottom uncertain, although not known any issues.

I guess my OCD'ness has me wanting the bottom end to be as clean as it can be. I don't suspect any ring issues or such. I'd just like to see the internals as clean as a 230k mile engine could be. I do suspect my crankcase is sludged to some degree. THink I'd run any negative risks by throwing the AutoRX in to see if it cleans her out?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Perhaps change the filter 500 miles into the life of the oil. AutoRx works over time so it shouldn't dissolve anything to quickly.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Ive heard that royal purple will do the same as auto rx, anybody know?

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm running it in my truck right now. You need two bottles. I ran it in my wife's car with great results as well, had some lifter noise that went away quite rapidly. My truck has 150K and her car has 240K. I'm not a believer is snake oils either, but seems autorx may have some merit...guess we'll see over the long haul.

wmoguy

Reaction score
I'm running it in my truck right now. You need two bottles. I ran it in my wife's car with great results as well, had some lifter noise that went away quite rapidly. My truck has 150K and her car has 240K. I'm not a believer is snake oils either, but seems autorx may have some merit...guess we'll see over the long haul.

wowza! 2 bottles? $55 in oil additives, I think it should go ahead and wash and wax the truck for that price! WOosh! This stuff really that good?

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
wowza! 2 bottles? $55 in oil additives, I think it should go ahead and wash and wax the truck for that price! WOosh! This stuff really that good?

Cant say for sure, but I seemed to have good luck with it. I'm going to pull the heads on my engine in the spring, put the turbo on it that Russ is going through, studs, gaskets, etc. I was merely hoping to clean the engine a little before hand! :)

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
I bought some for my diesel and the ranger (sticky lifters :( ). Hopefully it works like RSDSL said. He's the reason i bought it... :)

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AutoRX is worth the money

They only sell it online, the only downside is the price, but just remember that an oil change in your truck is a little over $30 if you use good oil/filters. I would suggest buying at least three bottles and the price gets a little better, and +1 on the needing two bottles and spinning on a new filter at 500 miles. I can tell you that my truck ran better, got better fuel mileage, climbed the hill I drive everyday easier, and I will also tell you that the oil that came out of my truck after 1000 miles looked like black ink. Yes, darker than usual, like "stain your hands" black. I'm not a snake oil guy, but I will say that I'm a fan of the right additive for a given application, and I will say I'm an AutoRX believer based on usage and results.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Synthetic oils typically have more detergents than conventional oils and I've seen people mix in a quart of synthetic to try to clean an engine, but I can't say I've seen synthetics slowly dissolve funk like AutoRX.

ford390gashog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Auto RX is pure esters and is excellent as a sludge and varnish remover. It is probably not needed in a diesel engine with high detergent oil but it won't hurt. Just make sure to read and follow the directions. I leave it in for the full 6,000 mile oci on my idi and it did remove a lot of varnish and now the insides are very clean and the UOA after the rinse cycle showed very low wear numbers compared to the rather high numbers prior. It is only sold online , the only other product that works close to Auto RX is made by Lubro Moly and its called "motor oil saver" it is only a partial ester base and works slower. It also only cost $6.00 a bottle at napa. Either treatment will clean and renew hardened seals.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Actually redline oil is an 100% ester based oil which is what auto rx is(only vegetable based). Redline oil will probly do the same thing auto rx does. Lots of info on bitog bout it.Esters are know to be good cleaners and seal conditioners. Im not sure about royal purple, a simple search on bitog would give you a wealth of information on the topic.

After discovering bitog my whole attitude towards lubricants changed, I no longer run any additives(other than fuel conditioners) and bargain shop for my oil. There really isnt any conclusive evidence that high dollar oils, and magic in a can do anything except drain your wallet....