Auto vs manual starter

86SCLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, i have been having starter troubles with my truck for about a week now. I just got one from a wrecking yard today, it works great and bolts right up but the starter drive doesnt reach the ring gear on the motor. The only thing i can think of is this new starter is from an automatic and my truck is a ZF5, are these starters transmission specific?

Reaction score
When I look up a starter for my truck on various parts websites, it doesn't ask for transmission type. I would say 'no'.

Mike

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
the no nose cone part doesn't work anymore. last one I installed for a friend had no nose cone. bolted right up and works great. came from autozone.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
No difference in manual or auto trans starters. You have the wrong starter in that truck.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wasn't there an early 6.9 starter that was slightly different? 12 vs 13 tooth gear or something? IIRC it was only on 83 trucks. Might he have one of these?

86SCLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was a bosch reman starter so i ran the number and it came up as an early ps starter. So i went back and got the correct one, threw it in tonight and it works prefect. Thanks for all your help