ATS versus Hypermax

MeanGreen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, been a while since I was an IDI'er. My last IDI had an ATS turbo and a Hypermax intercooler. The power and throttle responce was great. Now that I have this 93, I'm not sure if I should turbo it with a Hypermax pulse turbo, or go with the ATS unit.
I know that ATS has reworked theirs to use there Aurora turbo which I believe is made in house. I think it is still wastegated.
Not sure who supplies the actual turbo for Hypermax.

Also, I am a bit of a hot rodder, I like quick spooling turbos. I had this with my old ATS unit. Can I expect the same from the Hypermax system since it is not wastegated it leads me to think it will have a bit more lag on the bottom, since it is sized to not need a wg. Whereas the ATS unit is sized a bit smaller, hence needing a wastegate for the top end. Hopefully you get my point. I'm a bit sleep deprived right now.

Thanks,
Jerry

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think if you liked the ATS then you should go with the Aurora 2000 from them if you can still get it for an IDI. You'll probably have to fab up your own intercooler or go with a hypermax drop in. On the plus side for hypermax they really are very customer oriented, but it sounds like you want a wastegated turbo with the way you want to drive your truck.

onetonride

onetonride
Reaction score
i just put a hypermax pulse on my 92 and the response is great.... the install was easy as long as you relocate the cdr to the right spot....hahaha i screwed up with directions. but i recommend hypermax all the way.... i got mine for 1885 shipped, and if you call in your order, the internet sales guy gave me boost gauge and pyro and no extra cost!!! what a deal

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hypermax is one heck of a deal for a new turbo system isn't it? I just couldn't come up with that chunk of change all at once so I spent $680 for an ATS kit from ebay(non wastegated) unfortunately another $458 to have it completely rebuilt, then a couple hundred here and there later for plumbing and odds and ends and $500 to have someone do most of the labor to install that thing. I probably would have been around the same to buy the new Hmax kit and install it myself. Don't kid yourself with understanding the Hypermax directions I'd read Mel's article instead.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jerry, you'll have to decide if you want the boost now or later. What I mean is, yea the wastegated unit will boost your lower RPM's, but you'll be limited in your top end with more exhaust restriction at higher RPM's. With the Hypermax, you won't see as much boost at lower RPM's, but your top end is only limted by what your headbolts or studs can hold on to, if you have a Moose Pump or equiivelent. I pretty much sum it up this way - ATS and BANKs for general use and city driving. Hypermax if your truck lives on the highway.

MeanGreen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, I really like the layout of the Hypermax system though. GP changes look easy. My old ATS kit was a pain to get to the last GP on the passenger side. My mine concern is smoke clean-up off the line. How is the Hypermax in this department with a Moose Pump and modded injectors? Would the Banks kit clean up better, quicker? I like smoke, but Prius owners behind me have cell phones with EPA on speed dial around here!-cuss
Thanks,
Jerry

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could also get an aneroid smoke puff limiter if you want the Hypermax. Not having one I don't know how the smoke cleanup is, but smoke isn't usually too bad with my ATS non gated system, on the other hand I'm usually running bio and not usually doing too much hot rodding.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Off the line smoke is going to be a function of your foot regardless of pump and turbo. I'd suggest just putting the truck in reverse when their is a Prius behind you, and then they won't see the start up smoke. :D

MeanGreen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The smoke puff limiter is a good idea. I forgot about that. I spoke with ATS, Hypermax and Banks today. ATS and Hypermax are the only two options now. Banks is discontinuing the IDI kit! If I order by the end of the month I'll be okay, but that doesn't fit my finances right now! Banks did say that they will support replacement parts, etc. for the next 4 years.
Hypermax and ATS assured me that they have no plans to stop their production any time soon.;Sweet
I think when the time comes I will go Hypermax, since as mentioned earlier, a smoke puff limiter could be used if needed. ATS's down side in my opinion are:
1. Harder to service GPs
2. They use an in-house turbo (Aurora 2000), so I don't know about rebuild parts when the time comes.

The Hypermax uses an AirResearch turbo which parts are readily available for.

Jerry

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's interesting! Considering the fact that Banks, out of the 3, is probably one of the most recognized brands. I guess they are "too big" for the lowly IDI now. :rolleyes: Better stock up on RDT adapters.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Staff online