ats turbo upgrade

4play

Full Access Member
Reaction score
finally ordered turbine housing, outlet, and 3" down pipe upgrade for factory turbo and man what a difference. :thumbsup: the turbine housine install was kinda tricky but not too bad. then re-clocking turbo, and the down pipe ended up interfering with dipstick tube but other than that not too bad. the power gain was real noticeable and turbo whistle is very noticeable. :D with monitoring guages i can see that i can can tweek wastegate for more boost, and can turn pump up for more fuel. i have notadjusted yet and see 8-9psi max. 900-1000egt max. i would recommend anyone with factory turbo to check ATS website for upgrade, all went fairly smooth but some instructions could have helped.

4play

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know alot of people hate ats, and my dealings with them and tech support kinda sucked too. but look at the options you have for upgrades, when your truck already has the factory turbo your kinda get stuck with them without changing everything. if i had a non turbo i would not choose ats. i think i would probably go hypermax. i never said ats is the one!!!

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm glad your kit went together better than mine. I could not get my downpipe in the housing to save my life. Finally had to cut two slots with hacksaw blade in the downpipe to be able to squeeze the downpipe in.. Still had to beat it in with a hammer but its on finally. I understand what you are saying about having stock turbo and all but I will never deal with ATS again for anything.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4play, what is the application of that turbo in your avatar? Appearantly, it doesn't have a pyro. LOL

4play

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont know what that turbo is on, looks like a little 4-banger, i found the pic on the net and it looked cool so i saved it and im pretty sure the poor little engine wont last long with those high temps

FordGuy100

Reaction score
4play, what is the application of that turbo in your avatar? Appearantly, it doesn't have a pyro. LOL

If you go onto youtube, there are some vids where you can watch the headers turn orange. There is one vid where these guys have an old 305ci chevy I think, its on its dieing leg. So they have it sitting in a stand or something, and have it go WOT for like 5 minutes, the headers are white hot, its crazy.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Be careful, ATS is fightin' words to some!!!

yes they are.read my siggy

i know alot of people hate ats, and my dealings with them and tech support kinda sucked too. but look at the options you have for upgrades, when your truck already has the factory turbo your kinda get stuck with them without changing everything. if i had a non turbo i would not choose ats. i think i would probably go hypermax. i never said ats is the one!!!

options?????? id rather rip that **** off my truck and go back to stock.i had more power and lower egts with the stock exhaust.im actually scared to turn up my IP as i can max out my pyro with the ats **** in no time.

I'm glad your kit went together better than mine. I could not get my downpipe in the housing to save my life. Finally had to cut two slots with hacksaw blade in the downpipe to be able to squeeze the downpipe in.. Still had to beat it in with a hammer but its on finally. I understand what you are saying about having stock turbo and all but I will never deal with ATS again for anything.

mine slipped right in.it went in so easy that it still leaks.its been somewhere near 3 years now i think.ats tech said that was normal.why is it that stock and banks could get a clamp on it but ats couldnt????????

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4play... I just purchased the same exhaust and outlet kit from a dealer here close to home Taking a week in Sept to install the whole package... I have a Non turbo now, so I have a bit of work ahead of me... there is actually a new bent dipstick you can get... is it really in the way??? the new tube is only $50 but thats $50 saved if I dont really need it... I might rob a conduit bender from work and use that.