ATS Aurora 2000

85ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's everyones take on this kit and how does it compare to the older style kits? From what I understand the waste gated turbos are suppose to spool faster? I'm thinking about getting this kit unless anyone see's any major problems with it, or can reccomend something better for the money.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Max Speed/Max Power also has one in his 94 F-Superduty you can see his truck in the Medium Duty IDI thread from last week.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Max Speed/Max Power also has one in his 94 F-Superduty you can see his truck in the Medium Duty IDI thread from last week.
f450's are a slightly different acting animal.
with 5.13 rears, they wind out fast, so they're not the best for comparo's with pickups.

85ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I just saw that the banks sidewinder kit is availible in a waste gated setup. And looking through the install instructions it looks like their kit is more complete. (unless ATS just doesn't show all the parts in the pics). And the banks kit shows real hp and torque numbers. So I'm at a crossroads here. I'm going to wait for a few more responses before I get to involved.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
never believe the propaganda.
there isn't a turbo kit that will yield significantly better numbers than another.
I have an ATS 093 and I like it due to the simplicity and the ability to rebuild the turbo without having to go back to ATS. You won't have that choice with Banks. They have a proprietary design that is a ***** to get parts for. they've already attempted to discontinue the kit once too.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
What are you going to use the truck for? Are you using it for drag racing at stop lights or are you using it as a truck? If you are using it as a truck and need the turbo for towing, then forget about the wastegated turbos and get a turbo that will do you the most good and get a Hypermax non wastegated turbo kit. Hypermax quality is great and their customer service is second to none., ATS customer service on the other hand will leave you inventing new words, most of which cannot be used in mixed company. I have an ATS and if I had it to do over would buy a Hypermax next time. I have one of their COwl induction setups and love the thing and will be getting one of their smoke puff limiters soon

ATS quality is a crap shoot, some folks get ones that go right together, others like me get a down pipe( after waiting over a month and being lied to numerous times) that has to be ground down a bunch to fit in, others , get downpipes that are so loose that the things won't stay in and they leak like crazy ( it's a slip fit). I wouldn't spend another dime with ATS.
If I'm not mistaken, Banks is discontinuing the IDI turbo kit and support for it so parts will not be available . ATS already discontinued support for my turbo, they are still fooling with the Aurora for however long they decide they are selling, but when that falls off, they will pull the rug out from under that model as well
Hypermax is the only company left out there that is still actively developing new performance products for our engines , it only seems right to support them ;Sweet

sootman73

Reaction score
will be getting one of their smoke puff limiters soon

why you are getting one of these? they kill throttle response and the turbo will take forever to spool when you cut the fuel in half until boost rises....

my friends ranger had one and it would take to 3000rpm to spool the turbo. he disabled it and it spooled at 1700;Sweet

(oh ya it pushed 23psi)-cuss-cuss.

i just thought i'd ask cuz it doesn't improve performance just hurts it. you can do the same by not putting your foot into it as hard....:dunno

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Banks uses turbos that are hard (read nearly impossible ) to get parts for, reasonably anyway
I know where there is a nice used 093 kit

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah Banks uses some kind of goofy Mitsubishi turbos that apparently don't exist in any other application in the US or something. Everyone complains about the lack of parts for them.

ATS and Hypermax both seem to use good ol' Garrett T3/T4-style turbos, and rebuild kits for them are everywhere.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
hold on there for a sec.....
noone has dissected a new aroura yet to see what's inside.

O so true, the T3/t4 only applies to the old non wastegated 088/085 turbos. It's anyone's guess what kind of gadget they have on the all new setup.

has anyone got one where they can see an ID tag on it to start chasing down numbers?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I called Banks for a rebuild kit.... :rotflmaoFat chance... They offer only complete turbos. No parts but... They will sell you any other part to make it work... That suxs big time... So I paid $1100.00 for a ready to go bolt on to the manifold Banks turbo... Ran it for 5200 miles and melted the new motor. A freeze plug let go.....-cuss I the time this happened I found a place with typ4 help that could-would rebuild my "spare" turbo. It was around 5 months of coast to coast looking for a hot side wheel and shaft.... They are a one piece item... Seems Mistubishi will sell you whatever you want but... They wont look up any part numbers for you... You have to tell them what part with the number so they can just pick and pull it.. Kinda a crappy way of doing business.... I did find a manufactor here in Ca called Kamak that makes oem replacement parts for the Banks turbo. I chose not to use them because the turbo is no place to go cheap on parts. They spin around 130,000 rpm at as high as 1200 degrees. Cheap materials there will not be a safe bet. I talked with them and they told me their parts are every bit a good as the oem stuff and they use inconel for the hot wheel... I didn't buy it. Someone else can take a chance with them. Someday when I rich maybe I will buy some of there stuff and have it checked for type of material it is. That will destroy the pasts too. Banks knows how to keep things inhouse...:dunno

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
why you are getting one of these? they kill throttle response and the turbo will take forever to spool when you cut the fuel in half until boost rises....

my friends ranger had one and it would take to 3000rpm to spool the turbo. he disabled it and it spooled at 1700;Sweet

(oh ya it pushed 23psi)-cuss-cuss.

i just thought i'd ask cuz it doesn't improve performance just hurts it. you can do the same by not putting your foot into it as hard....:dunno

the thing is simply an anaeroid designed to emulate the design on the Bosch pumps. All it does is it cuts the fuel back until you have enough boost built to match the fuel that you are calling for, so you can floor it , but you won't get clouds of smoke, instead, you get a steady power rise of near perfect volumetric efficiency where the fuel being fed always matches the air for an even burn. I don't care how steady your foot is, you just can't do that with your foot.
If somebody had one and couldn't get their turbo to spool, then they didn't know how to adjust the thing, and they should have taken it to someone who did.
I've delt with Anaeroids on European turbo diesels for years , and a properly adjusted one makes for a clean burning engine with oodles of power. I've always wondered why Stanadyne never figured out how to make one, but Hypermax has corrected that little problem for them. I had a lengthy conversation with the guy at Hypermax who designed the thing and that was his thinking as well , it was modeled after the bosch anaeroids .

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O so true, the T3/t4 only applies to the old non wastegated 088/085 turbos. It's anyone's guess what kind of gadget they have on the all new setup.

has anyone got one where they can see an ID tag on it to start chasing down numbers?

The wastegated turbos are T3/T04B hybrids. I was just meaning that they do or at least used to use Garrett-patterned turbos.

True, the Aurora turbos may be a completely different animal, but I would not be at all surprised if they are still based off a Garrett-style center section.

Actually they could be basted off the new Garrett GT turbos, I dunno. Would have to see one in person.