ATS 088 turbo rebuild. Help!

sheepman

TDS Refugee
Reaction score
I picked up a 088 turbo a while back and wanted to rebuild it. Anyone ever done one?

How in the world does the turbine come off. I used a dead blow hammer and the dang thing will not come off. The center section just spins in the exhaust/turbine housing. Just wondering if anyone knows how separate the two. :dunno

I have rebuilt many a turbo but never a 088 ATS kit turbo. This one has me stumped. -cuss

Last edited:

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I'm not sure off the top of my head--I've never actually done one. The po of my truck changed out the center section once upon a time and I have the old one. If it would help I could take a picture of the old center section if you think it might give you an idea of how it separates. I'll take a look in the morning.

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
mine i just un did the nut on the compressor and with a lil bit of effort the compressor wheel came off and the turbine and shaft slid out

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The heat shield is seized in the turbine housing.

CESMITH

1986F250 6.9
Reaction score
ATS turbo

Had to chisel and grind mine out(the heat shield, that is . its rusted like Russ said) , luckly a new one came with the new center cetion. dont damage the housings! dont know how to get it out in one piece.

sheepman

TDS Refugee
Reaction score
I figured the heat shield was getting hung up in sorts fashion.

I don't to get a new center section unless I have to. Id you know what I talking about. I'll soak it and see if that helps. The dead blow the outlet again and see if that helps.

high psi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hold the turbine wheel w'a socket if you can, remove the compressor nut, take the compressor wheel off, slide the center housing off of the turbine shaft, now you just have the turbine housing, heat shield, and turbine wheel & shaft to deal with. Good luck....

sheepman

TDS Refugee
Reaction score
I'd like it to be that easy.

I'm having a hard time getting a socket down in there to put on to the turbine nut.

Any on know the turbine nut size by any chance?

high psi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know the size off hand, and they're not always a hex so it doesn't always work. Another option is to wrap the compressor wheel w/a rag and hold it while loosening the compressor nut with a small impact gun. Be careful or you'll destroy your fingers or a comp wheel blade.....

sheepman

TDS Refugee
Reaction score
I've been soaking it with liquid wrench and banging on it with the dead blow hammer. The dead blow hammer is a two pounder so far it's looseing up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin