'88 F250 ATS 088 Turbo Removal

Lexrocker

Reaction score
Well, my truck has been sitting largely unused for a few years as life has gotten in the way.

I've got an '88 F250 Crewcab 8ft bed with an idi 7.3 and a ATS 088 Turbo.

I have a glow plug that is snapped off flush with the cylinder head under the turbo. I need to either extract it in the truck or remove the head and extract it outside of the truck.

To do that I need to remove the Turbo, which I know is a circus (I tried to do it before but gave up). The biggest recommendation I've seen is to lift the cab... but how does one do this? Just unbolt body mounts and lift carefully? And do I need to worry about wiring or anything else getting caught/broken if I just lift the cab a few inches to give myself clearance?

I'm a little rusty working on this truck as it's been largely unused for a few years (I try to start her and warm it up every few months but only in the driveway - a few other issues have kept me from driving it). So if I'm missing something here forgive me I'm only just getting back up to speed on this thing myself. Thanks.

I'd welcome any recommendations (yes, I've seen towcat's response from 2009... part of the reason I put off doing this 5 years ago lol). Thanks!

Lexrocker

Reaction score
Maybe I'm being too gentle but last time I gave up after not being able to remove the pressure chamber.

Bolt is removed obviously, I'm guessing I need to remove the bolts to the turbo pestle / "oil drain casting" (according to the ATS PDF I have). I believe I did that before and it still wouldn't budge, not sure if that doesn't work if I should move on to dealing with downpipes/lifting the cab. I'm often overly cautious and I'm not sure at what point I should throw the kitchen sink at this thing.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-03-23 at 4.19.48 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-03-23 at 4.19.48 PM.jpeg
    214.2 KB · Views: 19
  • image_de35b7001b1665f1c528817668c30a00d634cded.jpeg
    image_de35b7001b1665f1c528817668c30a00d634cded.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 18

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I may end up getting contradicted here, but here's my take. I always found it easier to remove the lower side first: up pipe, down pipe, crossover pipe, etc. Then you have more wiggle room on the top side. The pressure chamber/intake hat/ snail probably won't come off with the turbo pedestal still bolted in place. It's sealed to the turbo with a O-ring type of seal. You may find it easier to lift up (or maybe tilt back) both the turbo and the pressure chamber together. The you can remove the chamber. Once you get that clear, you'll be able to see why it won't just lift off of the turbo.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 on taking out the lower pipes first. I have the same turbo setup and that's the only way I even attempt to remove the turbocharger. Drop the crossover pipe, then unbolt the lower connection of the Y-pipe from the passenger side exhaust manifold.

If you're lucky, you'll be able to swing the Y-pipe back & fourth until it drops. If not, you'll have to put some heat on the turbocharger outlet.

I wouldn't say the rest is easy, but it's slight downhill from there.

Thegreatbearded1

Reaction score
I have an ATS turbo on a 1988 F250 with a 7.3. I am trying to pull the transmission to rebuild the clutch. Can’t get the transmission out due to a stuck down pipe. Can’t get the down pipe out of the turbo with heat, can’t get the turbo out of the truck with the down pipe on it. I’ve got the turbo taken loose but I can’t get enough wiggle. I don’t know what turbonit is, it’s been on there since 89

Black dawg

Reaction score
I have an ATS turbo on a 1988 F250 with a 7.3. I am trying to pull the transmission to rebuild the clutch. Can’t get the transmission out due to a stuck down pipe. Can’t get the down pipe out of the turbo with heat, can’t get the turbo out of the truck with the down pipe on it. I’ve got the turbo taken loose but I can’t get enough wiggle. I don’t know what turbonit is, it’s been on there since 89
pics?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsthomas21

Members online