Anyone heard from Sam lately?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Were familyhere and she should stay intuch wit family... Even if she went to the sheepy side....:sly

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
Wow you guys really are great (this post surely won't do my thanks any justice) but I appreciate everyones thoughts and concerns. I have been working a rediculous amount, I just got in the house here about 15 minutes ago actually, but Dewayne (razorback) texted me earlier saying you guys were worried about me... I have spoken with JD a while back on the myspace messages. Im really sorry I havent gotten on here, working 8 days a week is tough, lol..... next rumor, cummins.... true story, but at the end of the day my boss actually gave the truck to me its a 97 12 valve cummins 5 speed 4x4 reg cab long bed. doesn't look good but runs great. Now the grey truck I still have it, it's tore all to hell..... tranny, oil leak, and one day i was tryin to get it to town a friend of mine at a shop was gunna put it on the lift and see whats up with the tranny, maybe slave cylinder he thought, but alas before i got out of the drive i heard a **thunk** and gear oil poured out, some bolt caught in the ring gear chipped two teeth and a hole in the diff cover... AGAIN..... no sign of where the bolt came from though, all ring gear bolts were in place, etc.... so anyway thats the story with the grey truck, I dont want to sell it but honestly is all that stuff worth fixing? OK enough about that, now that this is a small novel to recap the past 6 weeks.... we've been making hay every chance the weather allows, horses are good for the most part, and Im still here just pluggin away at life...... I miss you guys and think ya'll are the best! and I hope you really know it!!!!!!!

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Sam, glad to hear you're doing fine. Yeah, I know all about working long hours, there was a time I was pulling 18-hour shifts 7 days a week, it does indeed really screw up your personal life. But hey, it's for a good cause, that's all that matters in the end.

It's a nice thing you got that Cummins, nevermind it ain't as pretty as your IDI - it runs and drives good, better off with a good working ugly truck, that with a good looking dead truck! Don't give up on the IDI tho, keep 'er around, maybe one of our members here will buy 'er from you and fix 'er up good? Hell, I'd have done all the work for ya already, I got a shop and all, you're just too far down there... But I may have an idea about that, I'll PM you in a few ;)

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Really good to see you on the boards agin. About the oil leak from the differancial..... didn't this happen in a field once before??? If so it will be an easy fix this time. All is well here and several of us at the rally were looking forwards to helping you out. I even got 2 awards....:thumbsup: One for the best looking 87 to 91 idi and one for the longest travel... I drove 2050 miles... All great miles too... I'm looking forwards to next years rally in Ill.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Hey Sam! I'm glad you got a chance to pop in and let us all know you're doing well.
That diff problem just blows my mind, its odd enough for it to happen in the first place, then to happen a second time to the same person, ***?
Anyway, I hope you get time to stop in every now and then.

Gary, is there a thread about this rally in Illinois? I've never been there before but depending on where its at that's even closer to me than the last one.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Sam! Good to hear you're still doing well. That IDI, well, it doesn't matter just as long as you're doing well and happy. However if you don't want it/can't have it, I'm sure someone here will be willing to take such a cool truck off your hands. I still say trash that ZF5 and install a T18 and some sort of auxillary, much cheaper! Also I hear those 10.25s are dime a dozen. I have one in the yard that would be yours for free if any good, I'd have to check it, I don't think I'd trust that one you have, it's obviously bad seed. Are you still making runs to Ocala with the hay? If so hit me up when you're coming through. I'll text you sometime.

wanabebig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
glad to hear your alright sam. i know i don't post on this much, i'm more of the sitting back and taking in all the info everyone has. but i love this site and it alot cause everyone cares for the people here. its awesome!

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
It's not so bad owning a Cummins:sly
Everyone outta get the chance to beat on a goat at least once....it's kinda fun!:backoff

To date I have had both, 4 idi's and 4 cummins trucks.
Both have their own quirks and both have their own unique personalities. But most importantly both are fun to drive and I proudly burned oil in all of 'em!

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeremy, that is true - and in the end it really don't matter what truck she drives, just as long as it gets the job don and don't give Sam any grief.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
.....i got out of the drive i heard a **thunk** and gear oil poured out, some bolt caught in the ring gear chipped two teeth and a hole in the diff cover... AGAIN..... no sign of where the bolt came from though, all ring gear bolts were in place, etc....

That doesn't make any sense at all. That bolt had to have come from somewhere. At this point, you are looking at replacing the rear differential completely and maybe the transmission as well. Parts could be less than $1000 total and the engine leak still could be a minor thing but when it all happens at once its hard to justify throwing more money at it when you are so busy MAKING money.

I would do it for my truck, but I can also do all the work myself and store a vehicle indefinately for when time permits. Not everyone has the time for that. Sounds like things are going well for you if you are that busy.;Sweet

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
Jeremy, that is true - and in the end it really don't matter what truck she drives, just as long as it gets the job don and don't give Sam any grief.

I second that!! lol..... I don't know what the scoop is on the rear end there, i rolled the truck back and inspected all the ring gear bolts were there, I mean obviously it came from somewhere but I didn't see it. So yea thats my story n I'm stickin' to it! I'd love to find a wrecked truck with good running motor/tranny/rear end and take the body off the grey truck and put it on the better running truck, we'll see. :dunno

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, but you're gonna lose your lift and stacks this way - swapping engines and transmissions and axles is way easier than swapping cabs and beds and fuel systems. Did you get my PM by the way?