And then the transfercase fell off

spencergt66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So since I have bought this truck seams like its one thing after another I just wanted to fix my door today and do some other light body figures the piece that the handle and cable attach to I had to order from ford was wrong :mad: o well whatever on to the next job. I went on to fixing the cracks and remove the lights on the dually fenders i was crawling underneath the truck to remove so basket case weiring and i put my hand on the drive line since i was there just to see if was all tight since i was down there and to my surprise the transfer case fell off the back of the transmission :eek: how the hell id i not feel that driving down the highway? All i can say is thank god I found that and it didn't fall off going down the road. I found most of the bolts and had the correct ones to replace the missing ones used some lock tight this time I did remember after i got the t-case back in and all tightened up that the guy told me he just had it rebuilt not too long ago apparently they never tightened the ting after they put it back:dunno I almost wanted the thing gone after i found that but then what id have no truck and good luck at finding this truck again whatever its fixed;Sweet

trugertha1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well aint that some chit, that just amazes me that you never felt a vibration or anything.. definatly the first time i've heard this happening...

spencergt66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I never felt anything but the only thing that might a factor is that i had been up working all night then drove home. I had worked all day then had to go onboard a ship to do an emergency repair and when i got off i was pretty tired so it could have started to make some noise before i got home but i was soooooo tired I might not have noticed. I sure am glad i found that when I did no telling how ugly that would have been going down the hwy:eek:

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I had a car like that, I was crawling underneath to check out a leak and found there was only 1 finger tight bolt holding the tailshaft housing onto the transmission. Lucky for us both they became driveway discoveries.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I first got my 87 I driving it back from DC to Ohio only to have the adapter come loose and dump all the oil out of the trans. It ended up needing a new trans after that one