Can you take the cylinder heads off without cracking them?

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think my head gasket might be leaking between a coolant passage and a cylinder, some others suggested that might be the case on a different thread. It is incredibly inconsistent white smoke. But yesterday it started running around a in normal on the temp gauge. Can you pull the heads off and put in new head gaskets and tighten them down with studs without cracking the heads? How prone to cracking are the 6.9 heads? It is a late 6.9, MY1986

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as they aren't already cracked prior to removal, I would say as long as you don't drop them while they are off, beat on them with a steel hammer trying to remove them, or try to tighten them with something hard like a screwdriver under it that you probably don't need to be concerned with breaking them

James

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As thick and heavy as these heads are you could probably drop them on a concrete floor and not crack them. I finally had the "pleasure" of lifting a set of these heads that were already removed from an engine. They're no joke.

But seriously, if you crack them removing them you're definitely doing something wrong.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But seriously, if you crack them removing them you're definitely doing something wrong.
I have never pull a set of these myself, but just having dealt with BB and SB ford and chevy heads, over heating, lack of coolant, or spraying a hot engine with cold water are usually the cause of cracks in cast iron

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend magnafluxing once they're removed. Inexpensive at a machine shop or you can do it at home. I found a crack on my 7.3 heads when I checked mine, and I was seriously upset because they were beautiful low mile heads with excellent seats and valve guides and not warped, either. Details here -

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online