Aluminum Heads For The IDI

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Cast iron block and cast iron head is the way to go. That is why there are so many North American V8s still on the road. There would be more too, if the government didn't "assist" on getting them off the road.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I always thought the D-max was an all AL engine... And yes, them boys did do well. Isuzu and Hino at one point probably made the best engines on the road. I don't follow the new stuff so I don't know if it is still that way.

lbzbuick

diesel =)
Reaction score
I dont know if it would be good on an IDI but with direct injection aluminum heads are the best. They are light and surprisingly strong. I mean the duramax has been around since 2001 and still uses aluminum heads. The new 6.7 powerstroke DOES have aluminum heads too. There is a reason for it. Duramaxs arnt know for commonly blowing head gaskets and I know of a few duramaxs around with over 300,000 miles with no gasket issues and thats with towing heavy, very heavy. Duramaxs are also the highest HP street diesels now for sure, yeah the 6.4 is catching up but not there yet. There are alot of dmaxs over 1000hp that are street trucks and people do tow with them. Did any one see the fastest trailer tow in the new diesel power? They pegged a 2000* egt gauge with a 1300+hp duramax and did not melt the heads or the pistons. Also dmitri millards dmax has dynoed over 1700hp more that once and consistantly does 1500hp... all this with aluminum heads. So for the people that think its dumb to use aluminum and say they would never buy a duramax because of it just do not know the facts. If they are put together right they are 100% reliable, simple as that.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
The last Chevy Vega I saw had a Shapiro 427 in it with 2 stage nitrous, and ran low 7's! lol Cast iron block/aluminum heads are used everywhere these days, while I'm not ready to swap mine out, I think they've worked out most of the issues. I've had 5 gassers that I let go with 300,000 plus miles on them with no head gasket failures, all cast iron block, aluminum heads. Coolant maintenance is more of a concern, but if you keep changed, I've not had an issue.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AH, the Vega... the car that wanted to be a camaro when it grew up LOL

We can get you help... they have places for people like you.... THere is a cure :eek: :rotflmao

Help:backoff lol probley need alot of help cause my favorites the 4 door wagon:sly

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Help:backoff lol probley need alot of help cause my favorites the 4 door wagon:sly

* sorry, I gotta rib ya man, My first wife's folks had one of those things. I have BAAAD memories.... and they really were of the carLOL I couldnt get in the thing and I remember a few times she used that thing, trying to get on the interstate in CA traffic, it was like a death wish:eek:

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
Duramax is not an AL head. It has a 2 part head and the top part, basically a fancy valve cover is AL, the rest is iron.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
6.6 IS AN ALUMINUM HEAD. after owning 1 and working on many...from the 2001 LB7 to the newest one. all AL heads.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
If someone made some Aluminum heads for the IDI...we could design them for direct injection. Just saying.

dieselman29200

Pa. Oil Burner
Reaction score
I like the direct injection part but not the aluminum part. I cant imagine how awesome these engines could be with direct injection.

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing I know about aluminum heads is that when Mercedes introduced them to their line in 1986, they messed up a great car and those diesels don't go consistently high mileage like the old babies. For our IDIs sounds like a really bad idea.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
direct injection on an idi would be a funny powerstroke, can even use their pistons.

apparently some iron heads are still made overseas, wouldn't be hard to come up with a redesign just find a bunch of engineers :angel: or copy the powerstroke 7.3 heads, spaced out differently and with our head bolt pattern