Alright...my turn

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Well, I finally picked up a compression tester from one of my buddies. I have seen the results of a few cyls. Lower than I though it would be, but still not too bad.

The symptoms are hard cold start. Hunting idle when it does get started, runs out of power (like the limiter) when it is cold at lower RPMs, and smokes like crazy (all the time). I have put new injectors in it and am waiting for a few more miles before repopping them as they can't even have 1k on them yet.

Now, this is the confusing part.
You must be registered for see images attach

Look closely. Not seeing it?
You must be registered for see images attach

What about now?
That has better than 340 in it.

I have another IP and think that may be the problem. I am going to pull all the lines off today and do the compression test with all of the GPs out and see what I have.

SWS

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is that? It that the head gasket?:eek: I agree, if the compression is good, you may need an IP. If that is the head gasket........it could use a replacment eh?;Really

Heath

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
:eek: Holy head gaskets batman!
That's trouble in the works.

Hard starts after an injector change and smokes like crazy does bring the thoughts of an untimed motor to mind.
As far the wandering rpms and power loss could be the signs of a metering valve issue.

Swap the other IP on there and see what she does but me thinks ya wanna get the HG fixed soon.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow is all I can say at this point... That has to be causing some coolant flow problems in that area... Looking at the good side is this is the easy side of the motor to work on inframe and you can- should do the oil cooler o-rings while your in that far... No other time will you have easy access to the cooler....

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Well, that's precious:eek:
Wonder what kind of detonation caused that little exodus?

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Actually, you can see it appears to be just a piece off of another gasket or something when you remove the sensor from the head there. It does not appear to be broken off of anything. I was SOOO pissed because I have rebuilt engines in the past on hunches of them being bad. This one...I figured I would run what I brung and just stuck it in. Never saw this until one freak accident with the PS line. Had been running for a month or so at that time.

The hunt I speak of sounds more like a really agressive cam instead of a constant ruma ruma ruma (whatever engine sound you want to put in there) it goes VRUMP ruma VRUMP ruma. Make sense?

When I put the new injectors in, it was the first time I got actual dark smoke out of the exhaust. Nothing to black out an intersection, but enough to know it was a diesel. Just darker than a gasoline engine with a rich condition. I hope to have better news in a few hours.

SWS

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Oh...forgot to add, this thing runs and has been running on 99% WMO. I mean from 100% to "Ummmm...well, maybe I should add some diesel to thin it out" so I put a few gallons in to match out the 25ish that were already there.

SWS

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
icanfixitall made mention that after he installed his fresh BB injectors that the old girl ran like a BB Chevy with a hot cam in it while it was on cold advance timing, then smoothed out after the timing was back to the normal running timing.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
My grandpas truck used to run like that. Did it all the time when it was cold. Smoothed out when it was warm. Don't know there may be something to it?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never mind you told us in another thread 340-360 is good enough for sure. It could be a pump or timing issue. Also that waste motor oil isn't the easiest thing for it to start on.

Last edited:

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
The compression test was a shock. From 340 to 440....Yeah, 440. Cyl# 2 is actually the one with the HG pushed out. It was 440psi. So I pulled the IP. Now, I have to pull the front cover (for some reason I thought I could see the mark on the sproket with the water pump and cover still on the engine. There is more to it than just some crappy idle problem. The hard start is weird. It has always been the same. If it sits for more than a day, it has to crank forEVER before it starts.

SWS

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't need to pull the front cover to find the timing marks. They are dimples in the gears and once you get it close to TDC you can feel them with a piece of wire. One tooth off is easy to feel.
It will save alot of work.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Uhhhhhh...How can you feel it off if you can not see the tooth when you put the IP down into the hole? Im not afraid of the work, I just want to know what is the easy way.

SWS

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sea walker i did the dreaded mistake of removing the ip timing gear when i did the heads on my 6.9. it is impossible to see just trying to look down in there. it is actualy pretty easy if you buy one of those thin mirrows that looks like its on a inkpin and it telescopes out. with that and a good bright flashlight its quite easy. just find the mark in the timing gear and i marked it with a red paint pen. hope this helps out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online