Almost stripped out BW 1356 Transfer case drain and fill!!!

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to remove the drain plug from the transfer case tonight to change the atf and the plug is nearly stripped out (the fill plug is in the same shape). I was using a 3/8 drive extension and it was about to spin, so I stopped. I sprayed it with PB Blaster and will let it sit for the night. Any tips to getting these female pipe plugs out? I know they don't have to be that darn tight in the first place, but this is the first time servicing the transfer case on this truck. Would a 3/8 pipe plug socket fit better than the end of the extension or rachet? Or should I file/grind down a cheap 1/2 extension until it fits tight. I'm leary of using heat on it since it is an aluminum case.

Thanks for any advice,

Archie

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
I used an easy out on mine. Someone impacted mine in and stripped it. I used a hex head to replace it.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on replacing with a hex head pipe plug, very common for hydraulics as they don't strip. Funny how folks tighten pipe plugs so tight, especially when the other side has literally no pressure on it.

Good luck with getting it out, I think grinding down a cheap extension or an easy out are both solid plans.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DO what ever it takes....

If you have to drill out the plugs...remember your going to flush it out when you drain it...

Tightening these plugs to this level is stupid as it's not good for the case! As the plug threads in it is like a wedge as it's tapered and can actually force the case to crack...seen this a few times from *********...

Snug, with a little thread sealant is all that's needed...NOT TEFLON tape...that shites for garbage containers only.

If you have to drill out the plug and easy out it...you gotta drill out the plug and easy out it.....simple..but messy! Start with the fill plug...then the drain...and be prepared to flush a litre or two of oil through it to wash out shavings.

JM2CW

Al

EDIT

sometimes heating the PLUG good and hot a few times and cooling with ICE can make a difference too...or a IMPACT DRIVER too...

HEAT plug NOT case! heat will transfer to case....COOL PLUG with ICE....then try and turn out...

Al

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
I didn't drill it when I used the easy out. Got the biggest one I could and gave her heck. I stepped it up from there and finally got it out.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd stop before I broke something(Like the case it's self) and suck the fluid out with a pump.

w4dsb

Reaction score
put the extension away! plug your ratchet into the plug and give it a yank. the extension just multiplies your error by not being straight etc..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online