Air intake mods?

Babe

Reaction score
hey guys 93 IDI Factory turbo. wondering if the stock ram air box is giving my truck enough air. it is straight piped from turbo back and whistles nicley. if i took the ram air arm off and just left the hole under the air filert box to suck in air would that increase the amount of air its getting? or does somone make a cold air intake kit? there is plenty of room in the hood for large filter. thanks for any inputpics would be greatly apecaited thanks for an awesome site!

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Search button
Eliminate restrictions

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that was friendly ^^^

Yes, cold air intakes exist. I believe cowl induction setup but I may be wrong.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
No one makes a true cold air intake for our trucks, you can build your own using piping and a custom filter, or you can buy the hypermax cowl induction which uses the factory box, but draws cool air in from the cowl

The filter under the hood is a long debate, some will say that the underhood temps while driving are the same as the outside air maybe slightly higher, some will say its WAY hotter, but the issue really becomes the heat soak at a stop which is a killer for intake temps, so that one is tricky

I agree the search button on here is HORRIBLE compared to other forums, I dont know why it is that way, but as a forums user for over 10 years this one is in the bottom 3, but #1 for IDI info once you find it.

What I have found to help the search on here is go to advanced search and choose "titles only" that helps narrow it down

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
When using the filter housing/boxes you definitely want to use the factory snorkel or the Hypermax cowl setup. I couldn't believe how much of a difference the snorkel made compared to removing it--keep the snorkel ;Sweet

My 91 had the snorkel that sits over top the battery. I changed this to the earlier style (pulled one off an 85) because I feel they are less restrictive and not in the way as much. Here's a couple pics to give you an idea of what I'm talking about :sly

fwiw I use Google anytime I search this forum. Just add 'oilburners' to the end of whatever you type. Works good for me anyway.

Before
You must be registered for see images attach

After

You must be registered for see images attach

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If it's the banks turbo, the 6637 works good. As it's both are 4".
(Will work with other turbos also, just have to adapt it)
I know cooler air is better. But I believe more hot air is better than factory.
When you're running down the highway, under hood temps aren't that high anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk