Aftermarket stereo

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ClassicIDI said:
Well I can say that depending on the amp you buy a capacitor is not needed with our trucks due to the dual batterys. I run a pioneer 760 watt amp two 10 inch pioneer subs a pioneer 200 watt head unit and two 6 1/2 in the doors with two 6x9 in the back and I have never once seen the volt gauge drop or any lights dim at all. I Have been running this system for several months now and have not had any problems at all.

both of my dual batteried diesels needed a cap.i killed 3 alternators in 2 days in my 94.my 95 actually needs more than a 1 farad cap as it still dims the lights.anything over 500 watts should have a cap

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A cap not only helps save your automotive charging system it also makes a big difference in the sound quality in vehicles.

Ever wonder why a quality home sterio sounds better than a nice car sterio? To put it in it's simplest terms.....It's because the home system doesn't have to work to overcome the shortcomings and limitations of an automotive charging system among other things.

The right cap helps solve this.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
FordGuy100 said:
That pretty cool looking Agnem, reminds me of my uncles Perterbuilt head liner. I think I will stick with the stock headliner though cause I just redid it about a week ago.

Thanks everybody for the replies, I have a pretty good idea of what I'm going to get. Heres the list:

Kenwood KDC-MP5032 Head unit, XM ready
Either Kenwood KFC-1389ie 3-way speakers, or Pioneer TS-1681R 4-way speakers
The Schosche Head unit mounting kit that tonkadoctor posted a link to
The PAC OEM-2 head unit wiring kit
Bazooka BTA6200 6" 200watt sub
Visonik V308XT 180watt x 2 amp
Rockford Fosgate CP10PO amp wiring kit
Tsunami Lite wave PP912um-CAP capacitor
and then probably some more wiring

Looks like you've upgraded everything since your second post. 4 way speakers instead of 2 way, kenwood instead of sony, 200 watt bazooka instead of 100. :thumbsup:

You'll like the 3 or 4 way speakers. Too much treble and you can always tone it down with the head. 2 way speaker can only go so much, and then no more.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yeah yaric008 its one of those things that I will keep changing my mind on right up to the very end.

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so ive searched..an d since my factory harness is hacked to hell, anyone hae a radio wiring diagram for my 87? i just need to know what colors are what, from the stock harness. i have my stereo labeled already..just need what goes to what..

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
A light bulb and a couple wires can tell you everything you need to know. Find a wire that's hot 100% of the time. Hook your memory to that. Find a wire that's hot when the ignition is on, hook your power to that. Obviously you need to find a ground wire. Once you have that sorted out, find the pairs of wires that are stuck together, and test them til you have all the speakers sorted out.

My harness on one of my cars was hacked to hell as well. Best Buy refused to honor their 'Free Installation' promise because of it, and tried charging me $100+ for a new harness, so I just installed it myself.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I say get a Highliner and go that route. 4 speakers over head too.

OK Mel, since someone dredged this thread up, I desperately need one of those overhead consoles. Where on earth does one find one of those things nowdays aside from carjacking a pimpvan :rotflmao

-----Robert

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont spend the money for the expensive ones at best buy or anything.the walmart special has all the same features at a lower price and it actually works.

x2 on that - buy the amp wiring kit, the ford head unit adapter, and a cap if you decide to get one - at wal-mart. You will literally save hundreds. I don't know how the car audio places get $120 for a 400 watt amp kit, but they do. I had a cap in the dually on my first go round and it was nice... they make really cool bright blue lights come out of your truck:rotflmao

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i ended up paying about 100 bucks for all my stuff. I got a head unit as a gift, and the truck had somewhat nice speakers in it. I have a sony head unit, with an Aux in and a USB port for a memory stick. I have a 300 watt 4 channel amp running 2 Kenwood 3 way door speakers, and running 1 JL 10W0 in a truck box. It sounds really good, im happy with how it sounds and everything was from craiglist.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yea I think LMC was where I saw them last too. I actually used this thread recently, as I've upgrade all the audio gear in the Moose Truck. I got a JVC DVD player head unit, a Bloupunkt (or however you spell it) powered sub, and for now am using the head unit amp, but would like to add an external later. Highliners are great until it's time to work on them. :puke:

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
i wont comment on much said in this thread because i do not wish to get into it but shop eBay and u will find better audio equipment then u can get at the local big name stores or equalavlant for cheaper.

in my 88 i have about $500 between head unit, amp, speakers, wiring and all.
in my 93 i have about $900 between head unit, amps, sub, sub box, speakers and wiring. retail for each would be about 40% more but most of mine came from ebay.

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i tried the light bulb trick..still didnt work..i couldnt find a constant 12v when the truck is off..just 2 when the truck has the ign on..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70