Glow plug delay killed my aftermarket stereo. Solution?

flyarmyguns

Reaction score
Was this incorrectly installed?
When I turn on my key to excite the glow plugs the stereo begins to initialize because power is on. 20 seconds or so later when the glow plugs click off, I turn the key to start, and the radio dies at whatever stage of initialization it was at. Once engine starts and key is released, the stereo reinitializes and a few seconds later it comes back on again.

1. Stereo power is on with key (glow pugs) on.
2. Stereo power interrupted during start
3. Stereo power back on after start

Suddenly I'm having software issues with my expensive stereo. The stereo will no longer auto switch to my hitch-cam when in reverse, and I am told it has software damage from the start interruptions.
I know this sounds petty but its a huge frustration. How does the OEM system work?

HKT Firearms

Reaction score
I believe that is normal. My 94 IDI and 95 PS both automatically shut everything off when starter is cranking. As far as stereo goes, too much high tech in a low tech mechanical engine. Go back to the 8track ;)

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like normal operation.
My lower tech Kenwood does the same thing and has to boot back up after engine start is accomplished.

I make a habit of turning the deck off prior to shutting the truck down. If that is not possible for your unit, I'd think the only solution would be to isolate the key ON power with a separate switch for the head unit or run a dedicated battery to it. The stereo battery would need to be isolated from the trucks main battery's via a solenoid.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, I hear ya, crotchety old Luddite here too, but.... Hitch-cam? This is just a fantastic thing.
I agree. So I did a search. There are wireless magnetic cameras that will connect to your smart phone.
Just stick it on your tailgate when hooking up a trailer and connect to your phone.
And there's wired ones with their own screens in the cab.
I'll prob get one. Just don't know if I want another "app." on my phone. But I really don't want a screen in the cab either.

Last edited:

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stereos don't have power in the "start" position just "run" and "acc" so that's completely normal as far as that issue is concerned

flyarmyguns

Reaction score
Thank you for the explanation.
Maybe I'll wire up a delay timer so it only has to come on once, without interruption. I don't think that'll fix the pioneer AVH-whatever it is... but, maybe it'll save it from getting worse...

BTW Brian, I have a set of magnetic wireless Bluetooth trailer lights that work great. So great that I gutted my boat trailer wiring and lights completely. I haven't seen quality wireless camera stuff yet but I'll check it out. I imagine that could be a step up too....

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This might be dumb, but maybe have your "key on" power on a separate switch that you turn on after the truck is running? Might be over the top. I've got stereo grimlins too, but different.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be stereo Mogwai, they were grimlins when I got them. Headlights on, stereo goes off; hit GP switch, stereo spazzes out; turn up the stereo, stereo goes off; I wish it was only a stereo Mogwai, at least it would be cute and not flashing in "demo mode".

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck does the same thing. Always did. And when I read the first post you said something like leaving the glow plugs on for 20 seconds. That's way too long. 8-10 seconds at most.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Try unplugging the power connector from the radio for at least an hour, then plug it back in and see if it fixes it. That or disconnect the batteries. The point is to remove power from the constant power feed for a while.

Failing that, a factory reset might help. I had to do that once on my old Android heat unit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larrymac

Staff online