Adjustable clutch master cylinder rod.

A48WillyzGuy

Reaction score
So, I've been looking around but haven't had any luck with this. I'm fairly certain that my clutch rod is too long, and not letting my pressure plate fully engage the clutch disk.
It appears that the earlier trucks have an adjustable rod...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATP-FX-231-...or-Ford-F-100-F-150-F-250-F-350-/291993403358
My '93 does not.

Does anyone know if the older, adjustable rods will fit the newer pedals/masters?

I also wonder if I may have put on my pivot arm incorrectly when I did the manual swap. I received no instructions with my pedal assembly, so I just put this arm...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191706148667?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
on the splined shaft where the clutch pedal naturally rested. Is there a better way of doing this? I'm a little leery or trying to remove this piece and re-index it because, as shown in the link above, it comes without any splines. So, I cranked the heck out of it and forced it onto the crossover shaft until I couldn't crank it anymore. It may not come apart very nicely.

I appreciate any insight you guys can give on this!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought Napa sold one that was adjustable but I don't see it now. On my 89 I found out the rod was standard 3/8 inch. I clamped the rod in my vise and cut it off. I then took a die and tapped 3/8-16 threads on both sides, and used one of those long coupler nuts and a regular nut as a locking nut to make it adjustable. No problems out of it. In your case if you think it's too long you can cut a very short piece out before threading it.

You must be registered for see images attach

A48WillyzGuy

Reaction score
Thanks Franklin. I was actually considering doing just that before I came across the older rod. It's hardly worth messing with mine if I can just buy an adjustable one for $10 though. Lol

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
From my experience, you can't pull the arm back off and move it. One tooth is too much. That's why I don't like the job of replacing it.`

A48WillyzGuy

Reaction score
@towcat Are you saying that rod will work with the newer pedal assemblies? That's the same part number I linked and it's listed for 83-87 trucks.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@towcat Are you saying that rod will work with the newer pedal assemblies? That's the same part number I linked and it's listed for 83-87 trucks.
the only issue you will come across is the rod installed neutral safety switch. it's one item that I omit reinstallation and jumper the electrical. the length is the same for all clutch master pushrods.

Black dawg

Reaction score
if you grind down that adjustment nut, the clutch cancel switch usually will fit just fine. Sometimes a little extra grinding is needed in other spots, but generally no big deal.

A48WillyzGuy

Reaction score
Sweet! Thanks guys! That's exactly what I needed to know. I never actually installed my clutch safety switch anyway, so no issues for me there. My truck still thinks the E4OD is in neutral. Lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance