AC complete install

oworm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 83 F250 6.9 and i want to install an AC (Its been over 100f here in Indiana the past few days:mad:) I have no idea what I need from scratch. I have my heater core bypassed right now since it was leaking. Havent had time to pull it(don't need it right now anyway lol) but thought I could kill two birds with one stone if I do the AC at the same time as the core. What all do I need for this?

anthonyj

Reaction score
If your truck does not have an ac system already installed you would do better with an aftermarket ac unit.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try going to www.ackits.com. They sell complete aftermarket bolt in a/c kits that seem to include everything needed except refrigerant. I purchased a condensor for my F350 (which came with an aftermarket a/c system in it when I bought it) from them last summer. It is a high quality part and was NOT made in China!

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an 81 Bronco without air and went to junk yard and bought system from pick up. If you do this make sure to get brackets and heater AC controls. You need condensor, compressor, hoses, evaporator and housing (get heater core while your there), wiring for fan to dash control and dash control. It has been 20 years but I think the dash vents from the Bronco were used. Look under your dash at vents and tubes to compare with AC truck. Had to cut hole in firewall for evap housing. After I took the system out of the pick up, I made a cardboard templet of the hole I needed. It really wasn't that bad. I have also put an after market kit in a Chevette, it was no more work for factory air. Hope this helps.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Getting a used system is a crap shoot. Chances are at one time or another, by this age, it has had a major compressor failure and you can just about guarantee that the compressor replacement was not done properly ( i.e. full system flush, filters installed ) so the old used crap that you buy will most likely be nothing more than a giant can of worms in the long run.

If you take all the componants, flush them out, install filters in the lines and use a new compressor ( dont even bother with a rebuilt or junkyard compressor, they are not even worth putting refrigerant into and you can purchase brand new ones for less than rebuilts) then you can make a workable system out of jy parts, otherwise, a new kit is the best way to go and a lot less headache

oworm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting a used system is a crap shoot. Chances are at one time or another, by this age, it has had a major compressor failure and you can just about guarantee that the compressor replacement was not done properly ( i.e. full system flush, filters installed ) so the old used crap that you buy will most likely be nothing more than a giant can of worms in the long run.

If you take all the componants, flush them out, install filters in the lines and use a new compressor ( dont even bother with a rebuilt or junkyard compressor, they are not even worth putting refrigerant into and you can purchase brand new ones for less than rebuilts) then you can make a workable system out of jy parts, otherwise, a new kit is the best way to go and a lot less headache
I'm leaning more this way. Probably a bit more expensive but more reliable

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It can be done so many different ways, no one is the absolute right one. In fact, I have a very clean cab on a truck I have that I use very little and it has an AC setup in, a rust free 79 CAB. And I wanted to put AC in my 79 Bronco and was looking at my options, one of which was swapping a lot of parts between the two trucks and just updating the heater cores on both as I replace, replacing and updating the R12 components in the parts to go into the Bronco with 134A compatible parts (easy to do, though I like working with 12 better - just my preference), and making the necessary extra cutout in the Bronco and tinning up the extra holes in the truck cab where I leave the holes where parts once were, to even just building up my own plenum with a selector for the heat control and defrost/AC functions. It's not as hard as you'd think if you make the transitions smooth and diffusers work correctly, as well as source out controls for everything and adapt a controls assy. Being a seasoned tinner and AC guy it's possible providing a lot of precautions and insulating is done. However...

As pointed out, there are many really good aftermarket companies out there that will give great performance without the ghetto look. And even one company, can't think of the name off hand, where the components take up less room under the hood than stock which means more room for turbo's, engine swaps, and many other goofy ideas we come up with late at night as we sit trying to sleep.

Which one to choose? Of course that's up to you, your talents, and of course your wallet. But I would go for the best performance since diesels kick out butt loads of heat and those of us with diesel conversions as well as stock diesel trucks aren't always insulated in the cabs as well as we should be.