A puzzle

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I have never seen this problem first hand-I have an idea but I am curious what others think. I guess I'm just old & insecure :idiot: cookoo. A friend came to see me yesterday full of questions.
1st = The truck 1983 6.9 - been sitting a long time (several years). Mileage unknown,shoes 33,000 lookin at the engine maybe 233,000 (quite clean considering.
2nd = When purchased would not start no matter what,he wanted a rebuilt pump.I sent them to Thompsons deisel here in Tulsa where I had my turbo done and a pump years ago rebuilt for my old 84 F250. (Funny he is planning on using this engine to revive my old truck which he bought for junk price,whne I was very Ill).
3rd. He drove in with the truck running (first time after he had the pump installed)-sounded decent-but smoked like the devel (strong smell of unburnt fuel not unburnt oil definatly fuel)like a cold engine being started -fog every where -great to chase away mosquitos, but too early in the year to need that. I cracked each injector and every one had a strong effect on making the engine skip.It sounded slightly a advanced -with a decent rattle upon acceleration.Idle was good engine sounded good. He said power was good till it got the RPMs up then died off a bit.Started excellent hot so we let it set foe an hour- it started nicely with no GPS. I feel the engine will run out nicely -real dry no oil leaks.
4th My thoughts I feel the engine will run out nicely -real dry no oil leaks. No excessive engine noises it sounds like my jasper 7.3 does. I told him I think several injectors must be drooling -yet I felt hesitent because there was no noticable skip nor injector knock,yet unburnt fuel with out runaway on a hot engine. Maybe drooling enough to sent fuel out between combustion strokes?? My reccomendation is -compresssion test (althought I am confident there is enough to make it run nice).next new injectors .I think he will skip the compression test (just because he is who he is) I did notice 1 slight stumble.I am curious about other members impressions& input.
We have a brother-in-law in OK city just comming out of a coma,we spent mst of the last 2 weeks there and will be going back after we do a weekend of our chores etc. So I can't spend time to look further myself.
please pray for him he is like myself a miracle his kidneys shut down and liver almost shut down after a sever case of bacterial Pneumonia -he is on dyallsis now.
Thanks Mr Bill

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with the need for injectors. He likely has a few leakers causing the whilte smoke. Compression test isn't a bad idea, but it sounds like he's going to pass on that eh?

Heath

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's another idea: maybe the oil cloud is not due to unburned diesel, but unburned crankcase oil slipping past the rings that have been rusting in the cylinders for years. The stalling at high rpm might then be attributed to lack of fuel. Plugged fuel filter, air getting into the lines from the water separator. (Has it been bypassed yet?).

OMB---you are an inspiration. Never met you, but I know you are a great guy. Hope you are doing well.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment I try to be decent. Finding the Lord was my savior - We are all so blessed to be Americans!
It is definatley deisel nice fresh kerosene White smoke like smell, not the thick blue oil indicator smoke.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would agree with injectors....if the IP is new and the injectors have some wear on them they could be drooling and popping early. If you got a decent diesel shop it might be worth having them pop tested before you drop some coin on replacements.

Will deff. keep your brother in law in our thoughts and prayers....been there with my mother, You just gotta hold on to the fact that He has a master plan, and it will all come together in His time

starmilt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't the 83 models come with a code or some one year only injectors. What was the popoff pressure on them in 83.