A proud part of history with PRIDE.

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
I can't tell ya how proud I am to own my 23 year old ford/IH truck, even though four transmissions later, it's still going strong and will for years to come. When I was in HS and my auto shop class, I had people say "are ya gonna sell that ol thing, come on you need a PSD, duramax or cummins, I tell em I'm proud to be apart of a dying breed of International harvester engines. I think I get more stupid comments from people I tell em when yours is dead mine will still be running strong. My boss, he has his 2012 F-250 6.7, now it's a nice ride but not the pride and proud time honored tradition of our trucks.

And I cant tell ya what I fell the diesel industry has lost, Pride, and doing things one at a time by hand. I just don't understand why they move on to newer things. It's like I posted on diesel stop, My dream is to be a diesel mechanic, but you can imagine a room (past) 6.9/7.3 IDI, 7.3 PSD and outside that door is the 6.0, 6.4,6.7 (Future). In my shop class we learned engine tear down and rebuild, scanners problem solving, but for me if all you grew up with was IDI and 7.3 PSD, you'd probally be nervous too moving on. But I'm takin it one step at a time. I think that's the best way to do it.

My boss tried to get me to trade my truck in, no thanks I'm keeping it as my personal truck. I haul hay and logs on a 24 ft goose neck and sure I'm not the heir but I'd be proud to be the tortose. I'll park my truck next to and new one and not think a thing of it, cause it's what you think that matters, I think we need more 6.9/7.3's in the world no matter what the EPA says. I'll gladly say I'm not going quietly. :) :yell: :thumbsup: :sly

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
7.3 Man I work on big rigs for the last 20 years or so.
I have seen the progression from mechanical engine like the Cat 3406 A and B series engines, i have worked on the Cat PEEC engine.
I have worked on Cummins small and big cam engines, N14, M11, L10
So I know what your talking about
Why take something that has worked really well over the years and modify it then make it more a PITA to work on like the Dtroit DD15 engine or the Detroit DD15 Blutec system.
There was nothing wrong with the Series 60.
But engineers and thier infinate wisdom and the government and the EPA all got together and said what can we do to **** off a mechanic today.
SO now we have computer controlled trucks, some trucks like the freightliner Cascaidia has 4 different computers running all the systems in the truck and engine.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a 6.0 liter in the shop for 4 injectors, and an EGR delete. It was in here for 2 days almost. You pretty much can't get a modern truck worked on without incurring 4 hours of labor just to get to "the motor". The repair bill for any of these computer controlled engines would always buy you a decent IDI TRUCK. I've been taking classes on these newer systems coming out, and it's just crazy. The work required is just mind boggling.

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
I have seen the progression from mechanical engine like the Cat 3406 A and B series engines, i have worked on the Cat PEEC engine.
Why take something that has worked really well over the years and modify it then make it more a PITA to work on like the Dtroit DD15 engine or the Detroit DD15 Blutec system.
There was nothing wrong with the Series 60.
But engineers and thier infinate wisdom and the government and the EPA all got together and said what can we do to **** off a mechanic today.
SO now we have computer controlled trucks, some trucks like the freightliner Cascaidia has 4 different computers running all the systems in the truck and engine.
I know I like the CAT 3208, and 3406 it's a great engine, for a rig. :) Jd

Last edited:

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
I had a 6.0 liter in the shop for 4 injectors, and an EGR delete. It was in here for 2 days almost. You pretty much can't get a modern truck worked on without incurring 4 hours of labor just to get to "the motor". The repair bill for any of these computer controlled engines would always buy you a decent IDI TRUCK. I've been taking classes on these newer systems coming out, and it's just crazy. The work required is just mind boggling.
I'd believe ya :) Jd

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The IDI was my first exposure to the diesel world. I wasn't too bad at gasser mechanics, so I had some knowledge going in. I love the simplicity of the design of the IDI's. I'm sure trucks like this will still be going strong when the newer ones start to age 20+ years. I think the IDI is the only type of engine where I keep reading about changes made for strength and reliability rather than weight savings and efficiency. My family is growing soon and I am already looking for an ext cab IDI LOL!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Our simple idi is the dooms day truck.. Heres why.. Make these trucks a manual trans like a zf5 speed. Make the injection pump return line valve a manual vlave.. Thats the black fitting on top of the injection pump cover. Thats a one way valve. Make is manual. Now all you need is a hill to roll down to bump start it. No need for a battery to operate anything. It will run till you shut it down... Try that after a magnetic pulse burst that kills everything electrical on the planet... Sun burst comes to mind.. Survive that and have a dooms day truck to collect whats left... Not one of the electronic computer cars or trucks will weather that storm.. Hopefully we will not ever see this happen but if so we are the ones still driving around... Not them...

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
Whats the storm you and some others are talking about? I heard the EPA trying some stunts but I dont know this storm or appcolypse your talking about? :)

gatorman21218

Reaction score
There was nothing wrong with the Series 71.

There I fixed it for you

gatorman21218

Reaction score
The power band is at the governer like their 2 stroke gas cousins. Cant argue with the fuel consumpion though. The boat we had growing up had twin 6-71Ts and it burned 25 gallons an hour at 14 knots. Thats where my love of diesels started.

You cant argue with an engine platform that rolled on the beaches on D-Day and is still being made today.