hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is my old crappy starter (Mitsubishi)-

You must be registered for see images

This is my new bad a$$ starter (Nippondenso)-

Mitsu and Nippond are gear reduction. The Delco is straight drive.

I like the Nippondenso sytle best as well.

Heath

Reaction score
8973, do you know the part# of your original starter? I have been wanting to try the nippondenso style, but wont if it isnt going to crank any faster than what I have now (BSH SR587X) 3.6kw. The regular napa remans are only 2kw, and crank pretty slow. The original mitsu from ford was 3.6kw.

I'm not positive, but I'm guessing it is Part: RAY 2446265
This is the unit my Napa stocks, so unless that's changed, that's what they would've sent. Of course, that was back in simpler times when I thought a starter was a starter LOL

Mitsu and Nippond are gear reduction. The Delco is straight drive.

I like the Nippondenso sytle best as well.

Heath

So the Mitsu is a non-offset gear reduction? This is really getting tricky...

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why not buy a new gear reduction starter? They can be had for $122.00 with free shipping from DB Electrical. check out this very recent thread on them http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52727&page=7. see post #98 on page 7 for the links i posted for purchasing new units for a low price and definately check out post #118 on page 8 to see the original poster's reaction to his first experience with his new starter. i can also attest to the benefits of moving the driver side battery to behind the passenger battery. then the further benefits of replacing all the battery cables with new ones.

Reaction score
the mitsu is osgr, next time you look at one you will see.

I guess I don't know jack about starters. I consider this straight

and this off-set.

The only thing I see off-set on the Mitsu is the solenoid.

So basically, if both these are osgr, the best way to refer to my new favorite starter is Nippondenso style?

Reaction score
why not buy a new gear reduction starter? They can be had for $122.00 with free shipping from DB Electrical. check out this very recent thread on them http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52727&page=7. see post #98 on page 7 for the links i posted for purchasing new units for a low price and definately check out post #118 on page 8 to see the original poster's reaction to his first experience with his new starter. i can also attest to the benefits of moving the driver side battery to behind the passenger battery. then the further benefits of replacing all the battery cables with new ones.

=

The only reason I got it from Napa was they've been all been warantied. I bought my first there 4-5 years back, and my store owner offered to warranty a gear reduction unit to replace the defective straight unit.

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my mistake, 8973, i should have clarified that i was directing my comment more towards black dawg and any others that may be considering or on the fence regarding this upgrade.
8973, do you know the part# of your original starter? I have been wanting to try the nippondenso style, but wont if it isnt going to crank any faster than what I have now (BSH SR587X) 3.6kw. The regular napa remans are only 2kw, and crank pretty slow. The original mitsu from ford was 3.6kw.
i know i worded it as a general statement, but i hadn't overlooked the fact that you got yours as a replacement for a poorly rebuilt original style starter. i guess i figured you wouldn't need another new one

Reaction score
my mistake, 8973, i should have clarified that i was directing my comment more towards black dawg and any others that may be considering or on the fence regarding this upgrade.

i know i worded it as a general statement, but i hadn't overlooked the fact that you got yours as a replacement for a poorly rebuilt original style starter. i guess i figured you wouldn't need another new one

Ahh.

I will second your advice.
why not buy a new gear reduction starter? They can be had for $122.00 with free shipping from DB Electrical. check out this very recent thread on them http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sho...t=52727&page=7
$122 for a new Nippo style is a great deal. I was quoted more than that for a new Delco at shop cost. My cost on a Napa new is $188.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The interesting thing to me, is that I've never owned an IDI that didn't start with a bump of the key. To be brutally honest, none of my starters have ever had to work for a living, with the exception of the one in the Moosestang which was trying to start a motor running on WMO. THAT starter, should be gold plated and hung on a wall. I have no idea what it is, but it should have smoked many times over as long as I cranked with it and it never let me down. I'll find out at Thanksgiving when I pull the motor.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a straight unit, i swapped it out for a Mitsu osgr starter.

You must be registered for see images attach

RyanDamo

1 IDI 2 Strokes
Reaction score
i have had really go luck with the db electrical starter also and for price you cant go wrong

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read this whole thread, and something I ran into was not mentioned so I will throw it in;

I came across a 89 f350 cab and chassis with a dump bed, a friend bought it. It had been passed from one person to another, it would not start reliably. It had monster aftermarket cables on it, and the starter looked fairly new. The newest owner(the friend) decided it needed new batteries, and it still would not crank very well. So he put a new rebuilt starter on it, and it still would crank slow. So I ended up looking at it.

I decided after some voltage checks to change the starter again with a known good used one I had from my donor truck. As soon as I took it off I saw the problem. The mounting face where the starter mounted was rusty, dirty, and even had some aluminum corrosion on it from one of the old starters. I had to take a grinder and lightly run over the whole surface to get it down to good clean metal.

Well, that fixed that one, cranks over really good and starts like it's supposed to.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I went to my local guy and he suggested I buy a Denso reduction stater as well. He sold me a new original Nippendenso unit and I am quite pleased with it over my Mitsubishi. He told me the Delco starters were so bad that the cores weren't even worth any money.:eek:LOL Hopefully with a new engine and a good injection system my Denso will have it easy for some time to come.:angel:

Black dawg

Reaction score
ok, I did some testing.

Original mitsu 3.6kw osgr 510 amps 300rpm

nippondenso 2.5kw osgr 512 amps 300rpm

both tests on same truck bat voltage at 12.5 for both and stabilized 60deg shop temp
I couldnt find my rpm measuring tool, but I didnt think they would be this close. I had my hopes up that the denso would be much faster. somanabitch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online