a/c quick disconnect

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not having much luck with the search...

So I'll just ask. How do you get the a/c qd on the pressure(?) line to go back together?

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They make a tool for that that expands the spring lock so it will slip over the hump, just like taking it off. I think it's the 1/2" one...

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
i'd like to know how you got it apart without the tool You probably screwed up the spring. Take a good look at it it may need to be replaced. I think the blue size fits, slip it around push the line down in while pulling up on the tool, it will snap down in, then push the tool down off and open it

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the tool to get it off, had no idea you had to use it get it back on. The book said push and twist...and that wasn't working. They are anything but quick...

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok it's kicking my ass...

Spring is inside the "lock" (half a doughnut) connection. What does the tool do, spread the spring to go over the lip of the tube?

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Oil it up a little bit and jam it together. No tool is needed to connect it. If you are not strait on with it they can be a *******.
Ken

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, from a sealing/keeping the system from leaking standpoint, how do the "quick disconnect" fittings compare to the older threaded unions? i.e. if you had an opportunity to switch from one style to the other, which would you choose?

Thanks!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Amen! there is basically nothing holding the pressure in with the springlock setup aside from a wing and a prayer. It's just the edge of that round spring holding the edge of the tube and the sides of a couple of orings slid in past. that if you notice on later models they decided to go with 3 orings on a lot of them or ditch the quick disconnect all together like ford went with their P nut fittings which are a super nightmare because everyone will try to sell you an oring kit to fit those, but ehat they don't tell you is that none of those orings actually fit a P nut system and the only way to get those orings is to buy new hoses from ford cookoo When you look at that noise, those quick disconnect spring lock jobs start looking downright civilized :rolleyes:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a feeling as much...but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask :D

Heck, I"m lucky enough to not even have to deal with the plastic fuel hoses and fittings...'84 trucks still have metal lines with rubber pieces ;Sweet

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heck, I"m lucky enough to not even have to deal with the plastic fuel hoses and fittings...'84 trucks still have metal lines with rubber pieces ;Sweet
wouldn't want to be you when your FSV takes a ****......
if the plastic line FSV already costs $150-cuss-cuss-cuss.....your rubber hose FSV has got to be positively ungodly on the pricing.:eek:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin