An A/C question

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to be replacing the complete A/C on the 91 . Not the hoses but just about everything else. Do I need to replace the condenser or can I leave it. I read that earlier trucks had larger tubing in the condenser so clogging up was never an issue. What do y'all say? I'd have to pull a ton more stuff apart if I do

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Clogging internally only happens when junk is in the system, if junk is in it it'll fail soon regardless.

Earlier systems for R12 had a singular loop condenser, R134a had a manifold condenser, which is more efficient for R134a. I noticed an improvement with my ac performance after swapping in a 1995+ f150/f250 condenser, but it requires some adapting to work.

I say since refrigerant is going up in price, do it right, not twice.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use the newer condenser. The only problem with them is that you can't flush them after failure, only replace. But if you're replacing/rebuilding the system, it should be spotlessly clean inside and you shouldn't have to worry about that for awhile.

The newer condensers are more efficient and designed around R134a then the old style. You'll have a better working A/C, especially at idle/low speed scenarios.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The price to replace came down so I'm going to pull the trigger on this. It was converted to r134a while back but it has ever held for me.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't forget the dryer, thats where all the trash and exess oil goes to die.
Curious about why you are replacing the evaporator?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I had a problem with my r12 pump seeping out the shaft seal. Part of the reason I was so adament about doing the serpentine conversion, so I can use an actual 134a compressor.
Not all of them leak there, my dad's truck has the original compressor, still blows cold. Just luck of the draw.

Also, replacing the evap wouldn't be a bad idea if it's clogged with pine needles and such. But I've also cleaned them out before. Is a bit of a chore to do.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On rockauto the complete kit is for sale. Everything except hoses. Compressor, condenser, etc. It's being sold as a complete kit with seals so I guess everything I need is there. I don't know much about a/c systems. Never had working a/c.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The kit doesn'y come with the evaporator. Thats in the housing near the heater core, correct? I could clean everything out I guess.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I would, those are also common leak points.

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also pay attention to the correct orifice tube to get.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't even find out what compressor I have . No tags or anything. I know it's factory, and that's about it. Tried with the vin on a few parts sites and nothing. Rockauto has a v belt setup and I thing that;s what I have to go with. And whatever tube that comes with it.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The single most expensive part on your A/C system is the compressor. Everything else is just cheap insurance to make sure the new compressor doesn't eat dirt from the old compressor. I replaced everything in mine several years ago and it still blows cold. Only complaint is lackluster performance idling in traffic, but electric fans are the only real solution, to that so I live with it. Cruising down the highway, it gets plenty cold for passengers to complain (I'm too busy testing the limits of performance to complain LOL).

I would also opt for a brand new compressor, instead of a "rebuilt" one.

Having said all that, I did get by for many years running a used compressor and a hacked system. It didn't work great, but it did work. Sometimes you can get away with it, but I wouldn't do that on anything more than a $50 used compressor.

Last edited:

bumblebeer

Reaction score
I've been fiddling with my AC for a while, and finally have it where it's working good so figured I'd add my $0.02.

If you're getting a kit that come with the condenser, then all good. But my truck '92, was converted to r134a, and still uses the original condenser and works just fine. The PO did the conversion and didn't change the accumulator, so I was battling the black death. It was really nice to be able to flush out that condenser core. You may want to keep your old one around as a spare. I'd also recommend flushing anything you don't plan to replace, including hoses. You can rent an AC flush tool that hooks up to an air compressor from most autoparts stores, and using denatured alcohol (alcohol fuel) is fine. No needed to get the expensive AC flush stuff.

What made the biggest difference for me after actually getting the system running was to do the heater core bypass mod. Super simple and well worth it. https://www.oilburners.net/articles/coolbypass.html

A few other things to note:

I found the blue orifice tube worked best for me here in the southeast. The red tube worked better at idle, but not as good while cruising. I tried one of the variable tubes, and it worked great for about 15 minutes, till it got clogged. Obviously, I was dealing with some system continuation, but I still wouldn't trust them. When I pulled it, seemed clean. So I decided not to flush the system again. Installed a blue tube, pulled a vacuum, and charged. Been working just fine since.

Make sure your air box in the engine compartment is well sealed. Any leaks mean you are dumping conditioned air outside of the cab. I used some electricians duct seal around the seams before assembly to make sure I had a good seal. Some weather stripping would probably also work.

Folks claim good improvements from insulating the air box as well. You can get a product from your local hardware store HVAC section that has like a half inch of adhesive foam insulation bonded to foil. That would probably be the best thing to use. But I just covered my air box with some foil duct sealing tape that I already had to act as a radiant barrier, and that seems to work pretty good.

You may also want to get some foam or rubber pipe insulation and use it on the low pressure return line from the evaporator to the compressor. This won't really help with performance, but with that line traveling right over top of a hot engine, it is cheap insurance for the compressor to make sure the coolant stays gaseous as it enters the compressor.

Make sure your vacuum pump is working correctly and that you don't have any vacuum leaks. Both the blend doors work off of vacuum switches, so low vacuum or a leak means you'll be pulling outside air and/or pushing conditioned air through the heater core.

When you have your air box open to get at the evaporator core, I'd recommend hooking up a vacuum pump (a hand pump is fine) and testing the blend door that operates the heat/cooling mix. You can see it just at the back of the evaporator box towards the firewall. It may need to have new foam seals, or you may need to replace or adjust the switch.

This would also be a good time to inspect your blower fan. These trucks don't have cabin air filters, so it may have pulled in some junk over the years. I had to remove about a rats nest and a half from mine.

Finally, I'd recommend adding a high pressure switch in line with the low pressure switch to the compressor. I believe this is how the factory AC is setup from late '93 onward. If you ever have a problem like a clog causing high pressure, it'll stop the compressor until the pressure drops. You should notice the compressor cycling, or poor performance and hopefully be able to fix it and keep from damaging the system or popping the relief valve and dumping all your refrigerant. Just ask the autoparts store for a high pressure cutoff switch from a '94 and wire that in. I screwed it straight to the high pressure fill port after charging, but you could also tee it off if you wanted. See: https://www.oilburners.net/threads/high-pressure-cutout-switch.83043/

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you change your R-12 components to 134 components won’t you have to buy new hoses because of the difference in fitting sizes?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calroc