96 12 valve blown head gasket have 3500 to spend

Moremph

Too Many trucks
Reaction score
Hi all i have a 96 12 vavle sittin in the shop with gauges exhasut and a #4 plate in it. 5spd truck. needs a clutch and an oil pan gasket and a kdp tabbed. So i was thinkin might as well jerk the motor and freshen her up a little. Truck has 120k miles on her and has some wierd issues so i figured go thru the bottom and check it out and replace whats bad. or showing wear. Have about 3500 to spend on the motor I would like to go as wild as i can and still be streatable /daily driver towing. He wants to get out and whoop it up on the street and still be able to use it. No pulling with this truck

So what all should i do. Id like to only have the motor apart once so do internals now and do some of the other later if i hafta. I have a schwitzer version of the ht3b sittin it the floor i was thinkin a towing combo. what else should we do T hanks alot Travis

JohnS

Reaction score
The two bombs that I would do while the motor is out: a camshaft and a ported head. Both will help to control EGT. I did my installs in truck and it would have been so much easier to install them with the engine out.

John

Ym1110d

Reaction score
If you are going to tear it apart, then put studs and fire rings on the head. The recommendations above are also good, but you won't be able to do everything for your budget.

Ym1110d

Reaction score
DBogo said:
how bout some 370s

370's make some nice power, but I already lifted my head before installing them. Besides, they are easily added with the engine in the truck.