91 axle code question

Sealboy_04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 91 f350 xlt with factory towing package. I even have the factory window sticker and everything. But under the axle code line it says 39n. 39 means 3.55 ( non towing) and no one know what the N means. Please let me know. And how it could say 3.55 ratio with factory towing package.

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
Your window sticker and the axle code on the door jamb should tell you what you need to know

Sealboy_04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is what I am saying. The window sticker and the door jamb tag contradict each other. One saying towing package (4.10) the other saying 39n (3.55).

Although I can't find out what the N means in 39n

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3.55 and 4.10 are both decent for towing.it's not like 3.55 is a hwy gear like a set of 3.08's or anything.so it's not surprising to see a truck was ordered with a towing package that came with 3.55's.
my truck was ordered with the towing package with axle code 39 as well.
the towing package has you all setup for a rear tow plug,as well as brake controller plug under the dash with devoted fuses.
axle code 39 = 3.55 NON limited slip.it's an open diff.
the N represents a non locker/non limited slip.had the truck been ordered with a limited slip,your window sticker would had said 3.55 L in place of the N most likely.

Sealboy_04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could have swore that the widow sticker said towing package 4.10 gears but who knows. Has anyone else see that N because my cousin has an 86 that ha 4.10 limited slip and it doesn't have any letters after the axle code. The code itself delineates the limited slip or not as we'll as specific axle model and ratio. No need or the extra letter.

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
Look at the axle code on the door jamb. C9 - limited slip, 39 - open.

Sealboy_04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1.) Why do you need a pic I told you what the axle code is. Axle code: 39N. I speak and read English quite well.
2.) I can't seem to figure out how to post pictures to the thread.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1.) Why do you need a pic I told you what the axle code is. Axle code: 39N. I speak and read English quite well.
2.) I can't seem to figure out how to post pictures to the thread.

Your talking about two tags....and the door tag doesn't make sense....have you by CHANCE..checked the diff it self by removing the cover and checking the count of teeth or read the stamped info on the ring gear? That would make the most sense, open that sucker up, and check for your self.

Post pics...

First, load pics to say a Photobucket or Pixa account

Then copy the DIRECT link as listed in that account to the pic you want to show, and paste between
You must be registered for see images
between those two tags...simple

Sealboy_04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the info on posting pics.
And I'm just curious about why it says 39N. It's not that I'm worried that it ha 4.10 or not I'm just confused by that axle code designation on the door jamb.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the info on posting pics.
And I'm just curious about why it says 39N........ I'm just confused by that axle code designation on the door jamb.

As am I confused by it and would love to see a pic of it...LOL....never having seen that I would like to!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin