87 Crew Cab w/ 6 doors

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The power in the front, manual in the back window arrangement of crew cabs drives me nuts. There are power locks in all doors, right?

I'd love to see your switch arrangement when it's all done.

Ilovejunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hard for me to tell from the pictures, but the wheelbase almost looks right to make a 6 door "super centurion" bronco.

irregardless, your rig is gonna be awesome when its done.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate that they used manual windows in the back of these trucks. I guess an XLT Lariat isn't the top model lol
I will have bucket seats with the rear window switches in the center console. And a switch in each door.
Yes hey are all power locks, 2 wires, easy enough

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He has been contacted, and given instructions. No reply. I'm on vacation till Friday. So if he don't get back to me, it will be up for grabs again.
Makes sense...if he flakes out, I'm still interested.

Man, I'm going through IDI withdraws. I have 3 PSD's and damn, I MISS MY IDI!!!!!
I can't wait till she's a driver again.
I have to get all the final touches done by the 5th.
I know what you mean LOL My daily driver's a diesel, but I would like some more stick time in my truck...she doesn't like sitting, but I'm too practical for my own good LOL

I hate that they used manual windows in the back of these trucks. I guess an XLT Lariat isn't the top model lol
I will have bucket seats with the rear window switches in the center console. And a switch in each door.
Yes hey are all power locks, 2 wires, easy enough
I really have no idea why Ford didn't put power windows in the rear doors of crew-cab trucks...but, even the top of the line models were that way until sometime after the PSD was introduced. I guess it was their way of saving money on designing a different door panel or something? :dunno

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hard for me to tell from the pictures, but the wheelbase almost looks right to make a 6 door "super centurion" bronco.

irregardless, your rig is gonna be awesome when its done.
The wheel base is that of a stock 87 F350 CC LB.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Makes sense...if he flakes out, I'm still interested.

I know what you mean LOL My daily driver's a diesel, but I would like some more stick time in my truck...she doesn't like sitting, but I'm too practical for my own good LOL

I really have no idea why Ford didn't put power windows in the rear doors of crew-cab trucks...but, even the top of the line models were that way until sometime after the PSD was introduced. I guess it was their way of saving money on designing a different door panel or something? :dunno

My daily is my 01 F250. But she is a cold blooded *******. If I need to get in and go, the 98 E350 is what I take. Don't have to wait for her to warm up. The 01, is going to need a transmission soon. I've been reading that the ZF5, and the ZF6, share the same OD ratio, I may be looking into swapping the 4R100 to a ZF5. I really dislike automatics. But I got the truck in trade work, so who am I to complain?
The 01 shudders at 40 mph when cold. Feels like my IDI. When I drop the clutch in first and experience wheel hop.

The IDI needs a set of truck arms or reaction bars. I HAVNT looked into pinion angle change yet. Gotta be carefull, my attitude is when I get into a project, I like to do everything. And if I don't watch out, before long I'll be doing an off frame resto. Lol
Ford did some funky stuff. Like not making the rear windows electric, but I can handle that! I jumped into my dads 2000 Yukon XL lastnight to help him move some stuff, put it into 4 low, and immeadetly got stuck with its "4WD"
My dad held his head in shame after I yelled at him for buying a 2 WD. (Left front and right rear) I'll take manul/electric doors any day, atleast when I'm in 4wd, all 4 spin!! That's the important part.
Dodge did build great diesels, but that's all they did.

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
He has been contacted, and given instructions. No reply. I'm on vacation till Friday. So if he don't get back to me, it will be up for grabs again.

Whew I took Sunday off and got my shoulder scoped yesterday! Bumming around at home so I thought I'd catch up here! Y'all try to move fast!

I'm planning on doing some big threads soon on all I've learned and gleaned from here about my truck, to contribute back. I just got it on the road again 9 days ago and am still in the "shake-down" phase (and now I can't drive this week cause of the surgery :mad:)

Looking forward to checking out the valve and hopefully having a spare!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hope ya heal fast! Ortho sounds great on paper, but after having my miniscus done, I was DONE!
I'll get that stuff shipped out on the 5th

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Travis and I still joke about the front power, rear manual windows on the Crew Cabs. He passed on several when he got the Enterprise because he thought they were conversions. Finally talking to the dealer (Where he bought the Enterprise, right around the corner from me), they told him, No that was they way they ALL were. He left them that way. As we all know they were this way all the IDI's and some of the OBS PSD's. The joke has been that we were happy to see the designer from Ford still had a job after the conversion to 4 power windows. I had a 2002 Dodge Neon, and it was front 2 power, back 2 crank. 4 power locks...... we were just glad to see he had gotten a job at Chrysler....... LOL

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dodge did build great diesels, but that's all they did.

And they didn't even build that themselves! Cummins did! (Don't tell the dodge guys that part though, they don't like it much) LOL

I completely hear ya on the true 4wd. My 85 is manual everything so when I am in 4wd its now and all 4 wheels have power, unlike these annoying autolock hubs which take forever to engage if they do at all. I'm glad I at least have the option of turning the hubs on my 01. One day there will be warn hubs in there.. when I am richer than I am now. :)

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And they didn't even build that themselves! Cummins did! (Don't tell the dodge guys that part though, they don't like it much) LOL

I completely hear ya on the true 4wd. My 85 is manual everything so when I am in 4wd its now and all 4 wheels have power, unlike these annoying autolock hubs which take forever to engage if they do at all. I'm glad I at least have the option of turning the hubs on my 01. One day there will be warn hubs in there.. when I am richer than I am now. :)

What trans is in your 01?

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4R100. Lucky for me, the original transmission had the solenoid issue and there was a new one from Ford installed with the Trans Go shift kit, upgraded cooler and inline filter as well. All done via the previous owner.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4R100. Lucky for me, the original transmission had the solenoid issue and there was a new one from Ford installed with the Trans Go shift kit, upgraded cooler and inline filter as well. All done via the previous owner.

I hate mine. Can't drive the truck without 15 min of warm up time. I can't wait till I can afford a manual trans for it.