84 6.9 IDI Engine Block Serial # Location

Sledneck

Reaction score
Hi all new to the forum but needing some help I’m having an issue locating my engine block serial # recently bought an 84 with 6.9 the guy says it has a newer motor in it and I’m hoping it’s a newer style with the thicker block around the block heater.

I’ve found some # but they make no sense to me I’ll attach pictures of what I found the one picture was taken by the timing chain and the other on the line going to the oil filter

You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. You have a very early rebuilt 6.9 engine. I see this be the two sets of numbers in the first pic. The second pic is the part number for the oil cooler head.

Sledneck

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply so your suggesting that my block is an 85 or newer which means I won’t have to worry about the block heater.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply so your suggesting that my block is an 85 or newer which means I won’t have to worry about the block heater.
No that's not what they're saying. This is my opinion. The spot where the 113 and the 10 95 is stamped is where the original serial number was ground off. The one that starts with "69" is probably a newly assigned number that doesn't match anything put out by International when they built it. The "L" probably just follows the "69 as in 6.9L engine. The "F" makes me wonder if it's possibly a "Ford" reman. In the next line, to me, the "113" means the 113th engine for that year and the "10 95" means that it was built in October of 1995. Since the previous was my opinion, I definitely could be wrong. If you could post a picture of the engine block in the area including the block heater and the dipstick tube, then someone will be able to tell you whether or not your block is the thicker one. If it makes you feel any better, these engines don't have a timing chain like the GM 6.2 and 6.5 did. they are all gear drive starting from bottom to top: oil pump, crankshaft, camshaft, and finally, underneath the top cover is the injector pump gear that turns the injector pump. There's no chain to stretch and fail.

Last edited:

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although it is a rebuilt engine it does not mean it is excempt from block heater issues, the block could still be an early block. I would avoid using the block heater

Sledneck

Reaction score
Thanks bronco for the info I will get a picture of the dip stick tube and block heater.

Thewespaul I was told he replaced the whole motor I believe the block is new as well. I’ve thought of plugging the block heater hole and installing a Katz heater on the lower radiator hose but if my block is newer and won’t crack I’ll just leave it

Sledneck

Reaction score
Here are two pictures of the block heater and dip stick

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I can't be sure. From this angle, it looks like the older, thinner block. Unfortunately, you really have to see it from an angle from the back side of the dipstick tube to be sure. On the thicker blocks, the block kind of "wraps" around the tube a little bit. There's no need to remove the block heater and plug the hole, just unplug the heater.

Sledneck

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback I’ll unplug the heater and run a heater on my lower radiator hose

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin