84 6.9 idi injector pump disassembly

BaldWoodGuy

Reaction score
Hi All

Got an 84 6.9 f350 with 4spd that I am working on. Ive read a lot of threads that give great info about its issues. The cuttting out and hard starts are most likely caused by old off road thats been in there for 4 years while sitting. I am going to start at the tank to look for rust/crap in there. The guage is all over the place and it only started at 3/8 tank.
My question is about the pump and disassembling the parts to look for build up and rust that may be there. What sections should I focus on and is there any precautions or parts that I could screw up. I already filled the filter with Lucas cleaner and ran it for a minute then let it sit overnight. I have some tech skills but never dug into an IP before. I have VERY limited funds so any guidance for diy is very appreciated.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Save your $$$ and look for a rebuilt pump if that is what you think the problem is. Check the fuel filter You'll be surprised seeing all the crap in there.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An Injection pump is not quite like taking a 2 Barrel Holly Carb apart. Throwin in a new Gasket set etc.... And off you go.

Injection Pumps are best left to the pro`s with all the high $ calibration equipment.

Goat

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I would also like to add that if there wasn't any rust or buildup in the fuel filter, then there shouldn't be aby inside the pump. If there is, the engine was probably run with that stuff in there so it's all through out the insides of the pump by this time anyway. Anything short of a full disassembly wouldn't do much good in that case.

steve phillips

Reaction score
Watch this set of videos. Good information, Pay attention to metering valve not moving and the fuel delivery valve, both of these are prone to being stuck, from sitting.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

steve phillips

Reaction score
here is another 1 this man is an expert. this is a really good teardown video.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I might suggest before you teardown your pump, find a junk 1 to examine carefully you can learn a lot from that. The 6.2 diesel has a similar pump.

Black dawg

Reaction score
If you read on how to remove and reinstall the top cover of the pump, typically if there is rust you will see it under there.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt the pump is the problem at this time in the diagnostics